Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I recive error 1612 when trying to start Outlook 2003

Hello Folks,
    I have encountered a frustrating problem: When trying to start outlook 2003, I recieve an error message: "The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it." This is Error 1612.
    All the other Office 2003 programs are functioning properly with no problems
    Now to tell you guys what I have:
    WinXP Pro SP2,
    Office 2003 Pro SP1,
    All recent XP updates have been installed and are implied.
    Office updates - untill about a month ago.
    I have installed and run Windows Installer 3.1 with no success in solving this problem.
    I have installed and run the recent Windows Installer CleanUp Utility (msicuu2.exe) - no success
    I have installed and run the recent Local Installation Source Tool (LISTool.exe) - again - no solving the problem
    I also tried to re-install Office SP1 and SP2 - and I get a "Unable to install update" error
    Trying to access the problem thrugh the Control Panel => Change utility brings me back to the same error!!!!
    Ttrying to use the "Remove" utility - also no luck!!
    Trying to do Reinstall / Repair using the installation CD - SAME ERROR NOTICE!!

When trying to point at the Outlook 2003 Desktop Icon - there is nothing in the "Start In" window, and when trying to utilize "Find Target" it will not accept the command.

I looked in MS KB and other possible sources (through Googl Search) for solutions and nothing!!! All I found was about Office 2002 and XP SP1....
    Can some of you assist???

Re: I recive error 1612 when trying to start Outlook 2003

Hey guys - I posted this problem here because I expected someone here to help?!?!?!?!
    Any Comments? This is no joke or hoax - I really have this problem!!!!!!

Comment

Give us a chance, please! We have real lives too!
      I did see the post on Thursday but my suggestions -- office re-install -- had already been tried

Have you googled for the error?

The last resort is to uninstall office, use Regedit or a third party tool to remove all references to office from the registry and reinstall
      (see this link to help)

Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Uninstall Office again and runt his little utility. It will clear the installer info for Office for you.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Securit...-Utility.shtml

Code:
        With the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, you can remove a program's Windows Installer configuration information. 

You may want to remove the Windows Installer configuration information for your program if you experience installation (Setup) problems. 

For example, you may have to remove a program's Windows Installer configuration information if you have installation problems when you try to add (or remove) a component of your program that was not included when you first installed your program. 

The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility is provided "as is" to help resolve installation problems for programs that use Microsoft Windows Installer. If you use this utility, you may have to reinstall other programs. Caution is advised.

Comment

Guys - PLEASE read my initial note - I CAN NOT UNINSTALL the program!!!!!!!

Comment

Did you actaully try the program????

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=325084

Which also happened to be the first hit on Google

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...2BError%2B1612

Comment

Originally posted by MiniSun
              Guys - PLEASE read my initial note - I CAN NOT UNINSTALL the program!!!!!!!
              Read your post 4 times and I can see no mention of your trying to uninstall Office 2003.

Another option to Wullie's post. http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-111...sageID=1847267 and follow the instructions.

Last option, save all your data to another location and do a clean install starting from Windows XP. If you are having all this problem them something is causing it so wiping the HDD may be a good idea. Only take a couple of hours to reinstall O/S and apps.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Er... he did say he tried the "remove" option -- ooops on my part

If all else fails, delete the Office folder and do a reg clean should work.

How did you install office originally -- CD (which exact version) or Admin Setup Point? is that source still available?

Tom
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

OK Guys -
                  First of all - THANK YOU ALL for your assistance!
                  Now for updates: I used the link OSSIAN Provided,
                  "The last resort is to uninstall office, use Regedit or a third party tool to remove all references to office from the registry and reinstall
                  (see this link to help)"
                  read through the whole procedure and followed their instructions. Eventually, I managed to do a complete uninstall to Office, and from there onwards - things were simple!
                  NOW every thing is working, so again - THANK YOU

Comment

Hello again guys,
                    Thought I had my problem solved But Hell NO!?!?!
                    Since you all helped me with this solution I've had it happen TWICE!?!?!?
                    Any idea what is the reason? Is it a virus, malware, spyware or whatever?
                    My system is protected by:
                    Norton Internet Security 2006, Norton System Work 2006, AdAware SE Pro, MS Defender, SpyBot and System Mechanic 5 Pro - all are continuously and regularly updated... and as far as I know there is nothing malicious

Comment

Have you tried wiping the drive and doing a clean install of everything that is on there. This way you can be fairly certain of eliminating virii, malware, spyware etc as a cause of this problem and will allow you to look in other areas if it happens again.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi -
                        No - I did not wipe out the drive...I am trying to avoid that kind of solution....Any other ideas?
                        If the event will occur again - I guess I will not have a choice...

Comment

Working...
                        X