Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook E-mail: images & attachments arrive as inline text

Hi,

When I receive e-mails from daughter's school in my Outlook XP, I see them in a "raw" format. All the header info is exposed and any inline images or attachments appear as text (code) in the body of the e-mail.

Both my wife and I receives the same e-mails. We both use Outlook XP SP3 and the same ISP and via the same router into our home. She is using Win XP and I have Win7. When my wife receives these e-mails, they are normal HTML.

I've had a look at these e-mails via the ISP's web log in and they appear normal out there.

My feeling is that there is some "button" in Outlook that has inadvertently been flicked. This problem only started late January. Before that, e-mail that I received from school were normal. E-mails I receive from other sources are fine.

It's got me beat. Any ideas or suggestions?

Re: Outlook E-mail: images & attachments arrive as inline text

Go into Tools then Options,
    Preferences then Email Options,
    Looks for an option Read all standard Mail in Plain Text and uncheck it if checked.

Comment

Hi,

I had a careful look but could not find the Option you mentioned.

I'm running Outlook 2002 SP3 on a Win7 environment.

E-mail I receive from others sources arrive as HTML, it's only when it comes from my daughter's school that I have this issue.

My wife gets the same e-mail and it's fine, Outlook 2002 SP3 on a WinXP environment.

Comment

Possibly it has been done at the other end -- see: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...#_Toc269980630

Worth asking them, anyway
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I thought that perhaps you're right.
          The link explains how you can elect to have a contact receive text only. Perhaps they accidentally did that to me but not for my wife.

I then recalled having seen an e-mail on the ISP's web mail (which looked ok, attachments etc) but when it arrived in my Outlook Inbox everything was inline and text.

I asked the school a while ago but had no reply. Probably to techie.

Having said that, an e-mail from school did arrive today looking good. I don't believe I've changed any setting, perhaps they did.
          I'll see how the future unravels.

Comment

I've done a bit more research and it appears that I only have this problem when the e-mail is sent out as a group e-mail (bcc), i.e. the "To" and "cc" are both blank.

If it is sent to me directly, or if there is someone as a "cc", then it comes through OK.

Comment

I have exactly the same problem. Did you find a solution? if so I would appreciate any help.

Cheers

Comment

6 months later and no updates... not likely, but you never know!
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

I've had no further update on this apart from the fact that I have upgraded to Office 2010 and Outlook 2010 does not have this issue.
                  Perhaps it does, but I never found out the "button" that causes the problem in Outlook XP.

Comment

Working...
                  X