X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excel (2003) hanging when opening spreadsheets

Hello all

this is annoying the hell out of me

we have a small domain of about 40 computers, some of them can open a particular spreadsheet, but on other machines Excel hangs and eventually "

i have tried

excel.exe /unregserver
    excel.exe /regserver

no effect

also tried Tools > Options > General > "ignore other applications"

no effect

any ideas anyone??!
    Last edited by mudcow007; 29th June 2011, 12:54.

Re: Excel (2003) hanging when opening spreadsheets

Is the problem Excel sheet in the newer format? Does the same happen if the file is opened from the local machine?

Comment

hi

all outlook installations are 2003 so should all be the same format

documents are all stored on our file server (which has been restarted, with no effect)

i have just had a crash on my own machine from opening one the "effecting" spreadsheets so just waiting to see if can see anything in the dump file

odd how 1 machine can not open it, then another can? is there any setting i can flush in excel?

i thought it could have been a dns issue with the docs being on the file server but i have flushed dns an can ping the server etc?!

any ideas?

im stumped

Comment

When you open the excel document, does it state that it is in compatibility mode?

Comment

nothing at all, just stalls at a white blank page, after about 4-5mins if you try to close the window you get the classic "unresponsive program"

Comment

Anything in event logs (client AND server)?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

if you relocate the files that cause the problems off the server, and onto local disk

can you replicate the issue ?
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

HOw large is the spreadsheet and does it have links to other docs that have been moved???

Comment

hi all thanks for the replies

the problem doesn't happen when the sheet is copied locally to an "affected" machine, the spreadsheet opens normal

i can browse the network on my machine without any issues

it seems its size related on the spreadsheets, if the spreadsheet is over a 1 or 2mb it locks up?

word docs on the server don't seem to be affected by the issue, they open fine.

on my machine (affected) in the event logs im receiving

weird

any ideas?!

i really appreciate it guys thanks
                  Last edited by mudcow007; 30th June 2011, 12:11.

Comment

Do you have the latest updates installed??

Have you tried a repair/removal/reinstall???

Comment

First post, came across this after google search. I administer a network of 15 workstations. All of our workstations that use Excel 2003 are experiencing the hang issue. The workstations on Excel 2007 have no problems.

This issue just started happening the last couple days. I'm wondering if one of the windows/office updates is the culprit. I will post back if I can get to the bottom of it. In most cases, if you let excel run, it will eventually open the spreadsheet. while it's hanging, excel.exe is taking up a lot of resources.

Comment

I can't post links yet, so google microsoft 2570623

the article was posted yesterday on microsoft support: Excel 2003 Office File Validation (OFV) opens workbooks slower across the network

Testing now, will post back.

Comment

I'm confused by the help article. My workstations don't have that registry folder.
                          they have HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\ but there is no folder Office after that. Anyone have any advice?

Comment

do you have different versions of excel, or is everyone on 2003 ?
                            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Everyone on Office 2003.

Comment

Working...
                              X