Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office Versions

Hello all,

This might seem odd, but I was wondering...

What is the most widely used version of Microsoft Office? I ask because up until recently, I've "known" that version 2003 was still the most prevalent. Has that changed? I mean, I know people, companies, etc are slowly migrating, but what's the climate like now?

And I put "known" in quotation marks because I have no data to back that statement up. Rather, my understanding stems from years in IT.

But I ask now for a variety of reasons, and if someone does know the answer, do you know of published statistics that back it up?

Mainly, I'm interested in stats for the United States, but worldwide would work as well...

Thanks!

Chris

Re: Office Versions

Have you tried to for some answers?

I know of sites still using Office 97 and I bet there are still Office 95 users as well. If you are considering an upgrade I would go for the latest, Office 2010, not because it is the "latest and greatest" but because it will get supported for longer than all other versions. Office 2003 is coming up to 8 years old and this is not good when you look at the MS Life Cycle chart.

Personally I think Office 2010 qualifies as bloatware along with Vista Click image for larger version

Name:	vomit.gif
Views:	8
Size:	992 Bytes
ID:	464689 and Windows 7 (though Office 2010 does have a couple of nifty features).
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

windows 7 is not bloatware thank you :O
      *strokes his W7*

I'm finding here in the UK that there's still more clients on Office 2003 than I would have expected.

We actually have one client who have said that the standard build should be 2003, and asked us to stop installing 2007 when the users asked for it
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel
        *strokes his W7*
        PLEASE, this is a family orientated Forum.

Until WorldBuilder comes back with some more info, I shall take this a bit. It is interesting to note that Mac Office 2011 had pull down menus as well as the Ribbon.
        Re your stroking fetish, if W7 is not bloatware, then why does it still have all the old DOS tools. How often do you use EDLIN.COM? About as useful as a flight simulator in Excel!!
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi fellas...

Potential flame war, cease!!!

I have tried Google to little or no avail. I did find one article, here, that told me what I wanted to know. Wish I had more facts, but it's no biggie.

Personally, I don't hate Office 2010. Saving documents straight to PDFs, for me, is the best feature. Although I don't understand why they gave you the ability to create a PDF and yet not go all the way and give you the ability to EDIT the damn thing afterwords...

Chris

Comment

If you want to use Word 2010 as a pdf editor it has to understand all pdf files, also those not created by Word. Creating a full blown pdf editor in Word is probably a bridge to far.

And edlin.com, yes those where the days, haven't used it in years. But I can't find it on my Win 7 station.

To get back on topic, I think 2003 is the most used office version, but 2010 is going strong.
            gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by WorldBuilder
              Potential flame war, cease!!!
              Humor; EXCELLENT!!

The PDF edit option in Office 2010 may have something to do with a small company called Adobe. Gerth is most likely correct about Office 2003 and a sentimental favorite second only to WordPerfect 5.1 of course.

My apologies Gerth, it was EDLIN.EXE and EDIT.COM. DUH me!!
              CTRL + Z will bring back memories.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	edlin.exe.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	464691
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

//Off topic mode on

I'm alway running x64 version of Windows 7. So I do not have edlin, edit or other legacy dos tools on my system. You are probably correct that the 32 bit version still has all those tools. Anybody out here still using them?

Off topic mode off//
                gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                X