Possible Macro security question??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Macro security question??

I am running Office 2003 on a W7 machine in a server 2003 enviornment.

I need to email customers a password, securely. I was thinking of creating a Word doc, with the password written in the doc, and passwording it. BUT, I would need the doc to erase the contents, self destruct etc. if the password was typed incorrectly like, say, 5 times. How can I achieve this? Please help!! ha

Thanks in advance!

Re: Possible Macro security question??

And how will you get them the password for the document containing the password?

Can I suggest you use the telephone and tell them what it is?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have suggested this. The problem is that the password is very complex and we have a lot of seniors that aren't very computer literate. So, it's hard to relate the password to them with the upper and lower cases, numeric and alhpa numeric. A simpler password would be better to send them in a seperate mode of transmission.

Any ideas?

And thank you for the response.

Comment

Actually, they said the pw to open the doc is like the last 4 digits in their social or some sort of security question that is made up by them on the enrollment form.

Comment

You could probably do something with the auto_open macro, but AFAIK it only runs AFTER the document opens, so will not catch attempts to open it. Also what if macro security settings on the target PC don't allow it.

Lets think laterally:
          Both parties sign up with PGP
          Exchange Public keys
          Send encrypted email containing password
          (and digitally sign email to verify sender)

Will that do?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Nope. We are talking a customer service based business and a hundred different ones a day. I have looked into an encryption service like Zix that would send the email to a secure laction that they pick it up at. But again, we are dealing with the elderly and MANY customers a day. So, technically, I know other ways to do it, but from a customer service standpoint, we are dealing with illitarates and I have to make sure they bascially have nothing to do that could confuse them.

Thanks for your help. I may just have to go the Zix Gateway route.

Comment

Maybe just accept the passworded document without the "5 failed attempts" to get it.

Possibly someone else will have a web based solution where the customer can enter their credentials to reveal their password on screen.

It sounds an interesting scenario -- can you tell us more?
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

It's an Internet Banking situation. Regualtion says that any pw's sent digitally have to be encrypted or pw'd. Or they have to be snail mailed. Trying to avoid snail mail.

Thanks for your help, Ossian.

Comment

There is a bank here in OZ that uses a one time Token system for each logon when Internet Banking. They have a Pager type device that generates a token/number that can only be used for THAT transaction and becomes unusable once you log off.

Obviously from my description I know stuff all about the system but it is VERY secure. To decode the password for the document all that would need to be done would be to read the word or number from the pager type device. Obvously there is a cost factor in setting up a system like this.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X