Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cannot insert object as word ducument

Hi all,

When i try to insert a word document in a excel sheet frm a file i get a error like "cannot insert object". Am getting this error only when i insert a word document in a excel sheet. that too only in the user login. If i login with admin user and chk i can able to insert. I suspect its a privilege issue but not sure what to chk

can anyone guide me pls

Re: cannot insert object as word ducument

Would you mind giving us more info like what versions of office you are using, and if the two files are from different versions?

And spell everything properly if you wouldn't mind, it makes it a lot easier on us.
    "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

Office version : Microsoft office 2003 pro
      No special privilege for the user login
      both excel and word are created using 2003 version

Here yu go >>> The user in his domain login creates a new excel worksheet and then he tries to insert the word document (any word document , even if its newly created sample document) in the excel sheet as object.

Then he goes to "create from file" tab he selects the "display as icon" tab and then select the sample word document...here it prompts the error message "cannot insert object "

Hope this helps

Comment

Let me go bust out my XP machine with 03 on and I'll take a look at it.

Have you tried doing a "run as" and running it as admin from the user account?

EDIT: I went ahead and tried it in 07 for S&G's and it worked, I did it as an admin, so gimme a few more minutes.
        EDIT2: Tried in on my xp 03 and it worked fine, making myself a normal user to test it on now.
        EDIT3: Worked with a Domain User and Regular user inserting the object, doing other tests.

You said this is on a domain right? What kind of user rights does the person trying to do it have?

And did the user save the word document first?
        Last edited by Managor; 28th October 2010, 20:41.
        "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

the domain account has no elevated privilege...

only in his domain login hes facing the issue... and its a newly created word and excel document and its saved as well

Comment

it seems to be a permission issue as the user face the issue only in his domain login...

Found a solution for this...

I changed the permissions in the administrative tools - component services - DCOM config. I add the domain users group in the DCOM config properties - security - Launch and activation permission for the APPguid "Microsoft excel application" and "Microsoft word document" Allow these ACL
            Local launch
            remote launch
            local activation
            remote activation

similarly add the domain users group under My Computer properties- Com security tab (Administrative tools - component services) Launch and activation permission. Allow these ACL

Local launch
            remote launch
            local activation
            remote activation

Note : if you give admin access to the above domain user it will work or you can use the above steps to resolve the issue without giving admin access.

Comment

Working...
            X