Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to compare certain items in document A & B?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to compare certain items in document A & B?

Hi guys,

I need to compare certain items in document A & verify it with document B. Document A & B is totally different document with different contents and formats, however there are certain items that I would like to compare.

As example,
    content of Document A
    source ip address = 192.168.1.1
    source ip address = 10.10.10.10
    protocol = tcp
    port number = 3389
    content of Document B
    access-list acl-in permit tcp host 192.168.1.1 host 10.10.10.10 eq 3333
    Is there any way to compare these 2 documents (especially on ip address) and highlights it with certain colour when it match?

I've found 3 ways to compare text file as below, however this tricks won't works on this.
    http://www.codejacked.com/comparing-...word-document/

Thanks in advance

Re: How to compare certain items in document A & B?

Gee, you like things simple, dont you :P

So you would like to compair 2 sets of text, one in a block, one in a line?

source ip address = (IP1)
    source ip address = (Ip2)
    protocol = (prot)
    port number = (Port)

cess-list acl-in permit (prot) host (IP1) host (IP2) eq (Port)

Is this correct?

If so, I do not believe you could do this without moving it though something else.

A easy thing comes to mind for me, (please note, my hands on experance for Office is limited at best and about 5 years out of date) convert both of those areas into a table, then create a macro that compaires them cell for cell. That would give you a Yes or No Answer if they match (well, 1 or 0).

Could we have some back ground on what the documents are, how meny of them are there, and how long this will be in play, as if you are designing something that will last for 5 years, I would recommend something drasticly different then if its just to check that a few files spread over the system still match what they should.

I will have a quick google for you later, but I do not believe this will be simple, and I believe there must be a simple methiod of getting what you need.

Wofen
    Good to be back....

Comment

If it's possible to put them into excel spread sheets, and they contain consistent data areas, I could write an excel macro for you to do so.
      "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

Yup, I agree with Managor. you can use Excel Macros, or VbScripts to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Managor View Post
          If it's possible to put them into excel spread sheets, and they contain consistent data areas, I could write an excel macro for you to do so.
          You should be able to get any Excel macro to work inside a imported table in Word 07+.

Was thinking its easier then recreating all the documents.

Wofen
          Good to be back....

Comment

Without knowing the sheet layout, or having the sheet with me, I'd have no idea where to tell the macro to do what.
            "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

Working...
            X