No announcement yet.

OL2003 Junk Mail Errors

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OL2003 Junk Mail Errors

Our Symantec Information Foundation Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange license expired (The license expiry emails went into Junk Mail on the Administrator account and went unnoticed ) and we were receiving hundreds of spam messages a day. We were able to get a new SMS license file in place in a few days, but after that was installed we started getting strange behavior. Here are the server stats:

Exchange: 2003 Enterprise Edition (Stand alone server), fully patched
    Client mail software: Outlook 2003, SP3, fully patched
    SMS: V6.0.9.286

After we got the new SMS license installed users complained that mail from people they had corresponded with for a long time was going into the Outlook Junk folder. I had set SMS to add "SPAM:" at the beginning of the subject line of any spam or suspected spam messages. SMS Premium Anti-spam was also set to NOT change the SCL values.

None of the emails going into Junk had "SPAM:" in the subject line which told me this issue was not caused by SMS filtering. It appeared to be the Outlook 2003 clients that were acting up.

On the Outlook 2003 clients I set the following in Tools > Options > Junk Mail:

- On Options tab I clicked "Choose the level of junk email protection you want:" I set "No automatic filtering..." ON (This is supposed to turn off the Junk folder)

- On Safe Senders tab I clicked "Also trust e-mail from my Contacts" and "Automatically add people I e-mail to the Safe Senders list" both ON

This helped a little, but good mail is still going to the Junk folder and I should not have to set clients when we supposedly filter on the server.

I read other forum articles that said to use Global Policy so I downloaded the Outlook ADM files, added a Global Policy to set the above Outlook Junk Mail options through Global Policy and locked them so the user could not change them. I then forced an update via GPUDATE /FORCE and confirmed the Outlook clients had the above settings on Outlook 2003 and they were locked from changes.

We are still getting email going into Junk folders including some internal emails from our domain. Prior to the SMS license expiring we had no issues with this at all.

What do I do next?

Re: OL2003 Junk Mail Errors

Probably talk to Symantec
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **