Office 2003 MST file will not work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office 2003 MST file will not work

Hello All - I've joined today & would like to say a quick Hi!! to all Petri-ziens. At the cost of sounding dumb I am hereby posting my first problem;

I've created an MST file for installing office 2003, the file is created without any issues but when I run it an error comes up saying "please go to the control panel to install & configure system componenets", am I missing something or it is a known issue with a workaround.

Thanks in advance. Here's hoping to get some responses.

WIn XP 32 bit with SP3 is the target pc & the MST file is on shared drive, I also tried mapping the drive & then running the command through run but it didn't work...

Re: Office 2003 MST file will not work

Sounds like a path issue. Have you got the files in a location where all the work stations can see it (with full read access). Are you using full UNC paths, and not localised paths?

Can you please give us the commandline you are using to deploy the MST file.

Wofen
    Good to be back....

Comment

Hi Woven,

Here's the path

setup.exe TRANSFORMS="\\share\software$\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Office 2003\Office2003Auto.MST" /qb-

software folder is hidden as you can see by the $ sign next to it - do you think that can be an issue?

Thanks for your help..

Comment

Well, in theory I would say as long as the command is ran with admin priv, it should work (But I can not remember if its local admin rights or domain admin rights), but I would remove it during testing.

As a test, set up a fully open share at a time when no users will be around (or just risk them seeing it), run the command to pull from that share, and see if that works.

Sadly, in my current job I have no need for remote deployments, so I have no testing enviroment, but the biggest problem I have found with remote software deployment is path and premissions. Once those two are sorted, its right as rain.

So summing up
        A) Simplify the path to use a none hidden share, that "Everyone" has full access to (if you can risk it in your enviroment).
        B) If it still fails, check what user is running the deployment on client machines (check the user of the error message box) and confirm that user can see and access the share that the MSI files is stored.

Wofen
        Good to be back....

Comment

Hi Wofen - (apologies for mis-spelling your name the first time)

I redo the whole thing & placed the folder on an open drive & created a batch file which looks like this;

ECHO
          ECHO Installing Office 2003
          start /wait \\share\general\2003\setuppro.exe TRANSFORMS="\\share\general\2003\AutoOffice.MST" /qb-

& it runs fine but when I use the below mentioned command in start>run

setup.exe TRANSFORMS="\\share\general\2003\AutoOffice.MST" /qb-

it gives me the same "go to control panel...." error, why would it do such a thing??

Even changing the setup.exe to setuppro.exe returns the same error.
          Last edited by accessprashant; 1st July 2010, 04:37.

Comment

I think thats got to do with the default "start in" location (being %windir%/system32), where, with the command line, you told it where to find the setup.exe (\\share\general\2003\setuppro.exe TRANSFORMS="\\share\general\2003\AutoOffice.MST" /qb-).

Simple test for this, create a shortcut, and set the target location to the dir that stores the setup file.

You have sorted the permissions out, so its just a matter of the Path. You need to get the computer to launch the file from the same folder that stores it. So, if the setup file is stored at //server/folder/file.exe then the launch folder needs to be //server/folder/ for it to work.

BTW, have you tried running "\\share\general\2003\setuppro.exe TRANSFORMS="\\share\general\2003\AutoOffice.MST" /qb-" from the Runbox?

Wofen
            Last edited by Wofen; 1st July 2010, 05:09.
            Good to be back....

Comment

Can you try to run it on a different PC? Does it do the same?
              It may not be related to your case but it's worth a shot.

This is sometimes caused by a registry entry in:
              HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/App Paths/setup.exe
              that ends up initiating setup.exe in Windows\System32. The setup.exe there
              displays that message. Delete that registry entry
              http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1545005.php

*Make sure you backup the registry before deleting that key though to be on the safe side*
              Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

If you're literally running setup.exe from the Run box rather than specifying its full path, you're running Windows setup - what is used to add and remove Windows components. From your posts, I can only assume that this is what is happening.
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks for stepping in....OK to make my question clearer, I'll put down my actions in steps;

1. I ran office 2003 resource kit to make office 2003 installation automated
                  2. I completed the steps successfully & as an outcome got this link setup.exe TRANSFORMS="\\share\general\2003\AutoOffice.MST" /qb-
                  3. Now I go to start>run & put this command in run line & hit OK
                  4. What I am expecting it to do is to run the office 2003 installation because I copied the whole string from the resource kit final step
                  5. What it does is return an error telling me to go to control panel to install a program

My question is why is it doing this, I havent changed the share, I have full access on the folder & the string is being copied from the final page of the whole resource kit setup

On the other hand my batch file which has the following command run fine;

start /wait \\share\general\2003\setuppro.exe TRANSFORMS="\\share\general\2003\AutoOffice.MST" /qb-

I hope this simplifies my question...thanks in advance to all

Comment

If you're literally running setup.exe from the Run box rather than specifying its full path, you're running Windows setup - what is used to add and remove Windows components. From your posts, I can only assume that this is what is happening.
                    Right now, go start -> run, and type setup.exe :P

Thats why your getting the error. (Great Minds skipping simple things )

As for why your script works, its becuse its trying to start it in the correct location (\\share\general\2003\setuppro.exe).

I am not seeing what the problem at this point is, you have a batch file that will deploy office for you, isnt that what you wanted?

Wofen
                    Good to be back....

Comment

In a nutshell, I do have a working batch file & that's all I need...so you are right Wofen, thanks for your's & everyone's support on this issue....lets close this thread...

BTW...how do I close this thread??

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and glad you got it sorted (Credits to Gforce for spotting the issue)
                        The thread will close automatically after some time.
                        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

First step to take when troubleshooting running an exe with arguements is to run it without the arguements... and double check that it's the right exe running
                          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                          X