Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can an Office XP Standard CD be slipstreamed with an Office SBE 2003 Upgrade CD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can an Office XP Standard CD be slipstreamed with an Office SBE 2003 Upgrade CD?

Our company has original Office Xp Standard and Office SBE 2003 Upgrade CD with multi-user licenses.

We have in the range of 10-15 Dell PC's with Windows XP that uses Office XP Standard upgraded to Office SBE 2003. Occasionally we have to do a reinstall of the system back to factory settings using the installed image file.

We do not have an IT person. I am about as close to one as our company has.

I have googled till my eyes burned and can not find if it's possible to either slipstream or merge the files on the SBE 2003 CD to the XP Standard CD and then burn them back to a CD. The purpose in this would be to install Office with just one CD.

I have read that normal slipstreaming to Office XP requires the Enterprise Edition using the "/a" switch. If it is possible to combine them I am guessing that the final CD would use the Product Key from the Upgrade CD and not the Xp Standard CD.

I am attaching pictures of our CD covers for any clarification if needed.

Thank you for any help you can give even if the answer is it can't be done.

Re: Can an Office XP Standard CD be slipstreamed with an Office SBE 2003 Upgrade CD?

Why not try doing the admin setup -- it takes about 5 mins
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Can an Office XP Standard CD be slipstreamed with an Office SBE 2003 Upgrade CD?

or, why not just give it a shot ?
      You siad you've done heaps of googling about the matter.. in that research, you would have found how to slipstream in general

so just give it a whack.. worst thing, it fails.
      best thing, you work out some of the traps, and write up an article on how to do it and win instant fame, fortune and profit

[spoiler]
      Profit may or may not eventuate, dependent entirely on prevailing market economies :P
      [/spoiler]
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I tried the admin approach. It only works with the Enterprise Edition. I also thought that this isn't actually slipstreaming since it's not adding a service pack but upgrading to a different version instead.

I had actually thought about doing somethgni along the lines of having Office XP Standard and all of it's files as a subfolder on the Office SBE CD and then having SBE point to the subfolder during the install. Although this is not the true result I am looking for it would hopefully work unless Office requires the previous edition to be in the root of the CD in which case it would not work.

Another possible test would be to copy the SBE file over the SBE files over the XP files and test. I noticed that only a few of the files from both CD's have the same name.

When get some time at work I will experiment with it and post my results.
        Last edited by Keiser62; 30th April 2010, 13:58.

Comment

Have you tried this? http://www.petri.com/office_xp_sp_slipstreaming.htm
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            Unfortunately both XP 2002 and SBE 2003 have to be the enterprise edition to do an administrative installation. I have tried doing just a manual copy of the files to the harddrive but when I run the setup from the folder I get an installation corrupt error in the setup files.

I have also tried running them from a mounted drive using Daemon Tools and received the same corrupt error.

Thinking that it could be that the lower Office suites don't like Vista which is running on my company computer I tried installing them in a Windows 2000 virtual machine using VMWare. The same corrupt message appears which then leads me to think it has to be done with the "/a" switch.

So I am back to the drawing board trying to find a way around it.

P.S. Only about 5 of the 10-15 machines are on a file server which is really only being used as a data sharing point for PeachTree and as a print server. The rest of the machines are independent so whatever I can finally come up with will be placed back onto a single CD.
            Last edited by Keiser62; 2nd May 2010, 04:36.

Comment

Working...
            X