Outlook 2003 .pst file

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2003 .pst file

After formating my computer I took my Outlook.pst file and put it in my documents. Started Outlook set up my mail account, then in went to
    Outlook File/Open/Outlook Data Management and select .pst I copied into my
    documents. Stop and restart Outlook. Now the problem is 2 Personal Folder. I thought I would be able to right click and close the oringal personal file created by Outlook when I opened it. The first personal folder and inbox is the one I am assuming Outlook creates. My email are going to this inbox. I thought I could right click and close personal folder but it is grayed out. Then I have the second personal folder and inbox, this is the one that is coming from my .pst in my documents. I can right click and close that personal folder, but then all my folders, inbox ect will be gone right? I don't need 2 inboxes. How do I use one inbox and then close the other one? I did go into Outlook -Tools/E-mailAccounts/Next and at the bottom left drop-down Deliver new e-mail to it list 2 personal folders. Should I just select the other personal folder and then I will be able to close the personal folder that Outlook created or is there something else I am missing?
    Thank you

Re: Outlook 2003 .pst file

Set your original pst to the Default, restart outlook and you should be able to delete the one outlook creates.

Comment

How do I reset it

Comment

Finally got that figured out. I just used data management and selected the pst file I wanted to show and then closed the other inbox that outlook created when I installed. Now I only have one inbox and my mail in directed to that inbox. My only problem now is when I send an email and go into my contacts there is nothing there. How do I fix that?
        Thanks for your help.

Comment

Add the other PST back and then copy the Contacts from there to the live PST Contacts. Once the Contacts have been transfered then the PST that was added can then be deleted.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Can you give me specific instructions because I am lost and new at this.

Comment

Open Outlook 2003
              Tools
              Email Accounts
              [Email option] Change or view existing email account
              Next
              New Outlook Data File
              Ok [select default option]
              Now point/navigate to the PST file that has the Contacts and click Ok (a couple of times.
              Finish
              You may need to close and open Outlook for the just added PST file to display.
              Transfer Contacts
              When finished, check Contacts are displayed in the primary PST and then follow the initial steps and Remove the just added PST.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I did everything up to closing and opening Outlook. I then sent an email and they all were there. The confusing part is I do not know what you mean by Transfer Contacts
                When finished, check Contacts are displayed in the primary PST and then follow the initial steps and Remove the just added PST. I closed the original personal folder that Outlook gives you when you install. I am not sure where the transfer contacts is.

Comment

Transfer in this case has a capital T because it was at the start of the line. There is NO command called Transfer Contacts. If I had given it any thought, it would have said transfer Contacts.

If you have the PST still in Outlook that has all your Contacts then:
                  File
                  Import and Export
                  Export to a file
                  Next
                  Comma Separated Value (Windows)
                  Next
                  select Contacts
                  Next
                  browse to an easy to find location and give the file a name eg Contacts.csv
                  Next
                  Finish

This CSV file now has to be Imported into your new PST file that doesn't have any of your addresses (Contacts).
                  The steps are nearly the same except you IMPORT them.
                  File
                  Import and Export
                  Import from another program of file
                  Comma Separated Value (Windows)

See if you can get the rest on yur own.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thank you.
                    I am somewhat having the same issue with my son's laptop. I need to format his laptop and need to copy the .pst but having hard time finding it. He has Vista and Outlook 2003. In December he said when he opened up Outlook he got a message that said something about not being able to find .pst file and he said yes to that. Do not know the exact message but I do know that now Outlook does not open up the correct .pst file because all his folders, old emails and contacts are not there. It is almost like Outlook created a another .pst file. I logged under my name because I am the one with admin rights (parental controls turned on for him), opened all user and did a search for .pst including non-indexed, hidden, and system files and it found many Outlook.pst files and Archieve files (not sure what those are). I opened up outlook and did file/open/outlook data file on a few .pst and achieve files and I think by mistake I also did file/new, but not sure. I am a little lost at this point trying to find the original .pst file to copy so I can format. I attached a copy of the searches I did for .pst and outlook email so hopefully help.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X