Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recovering corrupted Outlook 2002 PST files; what do you use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovering corrupted Outlook 2002 PST files; what do you use?

I have a user who's hard drive crashed. I was able to use a tool to extract most of the files. Some of those files were the user's Outlook 2002 PST files. However, when I try to attach them to Outlook I get the error:

Code:
    The file [file path] is not a personal folders file.
    I ran Outlook 2002's Scanpst utility on it and then I could attach it to Outlook, but when I open the folder there is nothing there except an empty Deleted Items folder and a search folder. The PST file is still the same size post scanpst as pre scanpst.

I tried Zmeil by Zero Assumptions Recovery and got the same effect. I tried Advanced Outlook Repair by DataNumen, but that bombs out before it can even finish with an unknown error. Fortunately, there is a copy of the pst file from earlier this year so it's not a total loss, but I'd like to recover this PST file if at all possible.

What tools can anyone here recommend for PST recovery? I'll try anything that doesn't involve sacrificed farm animals.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Re: Recovering corrupted Outlook 2002 PST files; what do you use?

Our tech support engineers have used this, presumably with some success (I can't vouch for it as I've never used it or seen it used).

http://www.nucleustechnologies.com/M...-Recovery.html

Comment

I just tried that one. No luck.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

A google search comes up with a bazillion (and a half) results but it may be an exercise in futility.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=recover...RM=MSNH11&qs=n

Comment

Yeah, I've tried three quarters of a bazillion of them and they all look suspiciously similar. I think under the hood they all do the same things. It's just a matter of who is SEO'd better that week.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Working...
          X