Slow Word and FrontPage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Word and FrontPage

Can any suggest why my Office 2003 versions of Word and FrontPage now take far longer to display, load, files and close since when first installed, I use a dual core 64 bit 2.3 Gig CPU with 1 Mb Ram. But both software run far faster on an old PC with only about 250 K RAM and only some 500 Mb CPU

Is it perhaps because I am obliged to use an ant-virus like Avast, and am lumbered with umpteen MS updates. Whereas since the older PC is never connected to the Internet, and has no anti-virus or crazy MS Updates. Both PCs use Win XP

Thanks Gordon

Re: Slow Word and FrontPage

Are you sure you mean 1mb RAM, or 1Gb?
    On the old machine, 256Mb seems more likely

Have you tried the usual:
    defrag drive
    clear temp files
    set fixed size swap file = 2xRAM

You could also (with due diligence) disable your AV and shut down services and see what effect that has
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks OS. Of course I should have typed 1 Gig Ram for this faster PC. My excuse still waiting to be allowed to buy new glasses after two cataract ops.

Forgive my ignorance but how to I activate set fixed size swap file = 2xRAM
      Do I type it in under START / RUN ? Also how would I temporarly deactivate an ant-virus like my excellent Avast ?

Comment

Swap file is in "MY COMPUTER -- PROPERTIES -- ADVANCED -- PERFORMANCE"
        You change from Automatic to Manual size and (assuming you just have a C drive) set its Max and Min size to 2048 (twice you 1Gb RAM)

As for Avast, can I point you to the equally excellent where if you type in "Avast deactivate" it will either lead you to a pirate (Aaarrrr Matey) site or to what you need

And I can sympathise with the glasses - I have recently "acquired" a second pair for reading and computers only and it is a PAIN in the A**E having to switch all the time
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Get bifocals.

May also want to try deleting normal.dot and see if that helps. Could also be an old toolbar mucking up the UI, causing it to load slowly.

Comment

Thanks guys. My system will not allow me to delete Normal.dot using Styles and Formatting, only Modify is active.

I already have bifocals, which are now almost useless as the new lenses already have some correction included, causing duplication. So I now see better long distance without any classes, and the existing long distance section I am now using to type this. The Eye consultants do not want anyone to order new glasses until they examine us some 6 weeks after the final op. Incidentaly I understand the lenses they install are better that those we are all born with, as they allow more UV light and colour to pass, hence the greater need for sun glasses.

Comment

No, you have to delete the actual file.

Comment

Thanks again Guys

At first Windows search failed to show me where normal.dot was hidden. But when I did find it I did as suggested and removed it along with some temporary $normal.dot or summit. So the probem is now solved, after resetting layout such as A4 instead of the Yankee A5 and only 0.5 in margins.

Even FrontPage seems a little faster, but it does not seem to have its own normal.dot or whatever to change.

Comment

Hello dear friend
                  I read your problem. I think first check your setting of the office because some time problem in the setting. If the problem not solved out than reinstalled your Office software.
                  I think solved your problem.......
                  thank you..

Comment

Working...
                  X