No announcement yet.

Normal.Dot best practice Office 2003

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normal.Dot best practice Office 2003

I was hoping someone can give me their opionion or recommendation of how should be implemented.
    Be default, the resides in C:\Document and Settings\"profile"\....

We currently have the template sitting on a network share with read access to it and the workgroup templates in the same directory. This is driven by GPO.
    We have had numour issues with the template changing, corruption and even the issue where you get the prompt to save the template when exiting MS Word or Outlook.
    I would like to know what you think is best to do with the template, should we go back to teh default location, or create a gpo to have it on each users home drives or leave as is and just provide correct permissions? Not sure what permissions they need to it but like I said they currently have read as we don't want them to be able to modify it.

Any opinion\recommendation would be appreciated!

Re: Normal.Dot best practice Office 2003

The trouble with a read only is that word will want to modify it if the user, for example, changes default language for spelling, so generating the save messages

IMHO leave it in the original location and permissions -- you can always delete it if needed!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **