Office always attempts to configure.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office always attempts to configure.

A while ago I noticed that on one of my machines (Xp Pro, on a network running Server 2003) started attempting to install/configure MS Office 2003 every time the program is run. I ended up installing another version of Office (Just XP Office, not 2003 or anything) which as you can imagine was quite a story since the original disk of 2003 is missing and I now have two versions, one working, on that machine. How can I remove the dysfunctional one? And what causes this problem? I've noticed it starting to happen on another machine as well, and the problem seems to escalate (I.E. It starts by doing it when one accesses a Word document, and eventually it does it at just about every double click). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Office always attempts to configure.

Office is such an immense product, that I would wipe the machine and start again. After backing up profiles and data of course.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Crikey, how'd you get a reputation like yours with the type of morbid advice you give? Only kidding, but seriously do you think that's the only way?

Comment

You could give this a try.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

I have foud this invaluable when removing software. It removes any software installed with MSI. Keep us posted how you get on. This will also only be visible in the logon account you install it in.

Comment

I'll do that Virtual, but as for the constant configuration problem...?

Comment

I take it that does it with XP as well? You can try using the tool to fully remove Office and then reinstall it. If that works, you could look in to using a GPO to remove software and then roll out the Office software, depending on the number of users.

I was under the impression that you had installed Office XP that resolved the problem. Hopefully after removing all Office and reinstalling Office 2003 it will be ok.

Also, after doing so, try logging on as another user to test just in case the local profile is corrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
              You could give this a try.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

I have foud this invaluable when removing software. It removes any software installed with MSI. Keep us posted how you get on. This will also only be visible in the logon account you install it in.

Was going to suggest him to give the cleanup utility a try but i see that Virtual has already done that.

This is one of the Best products it solved many issues for me with installations, and its not only for MS products
              Tarek Majdalani
              MS Forefront Edge Security MVP

Comment

Another point with Office, when you have fully removed them and the reinstalled, the first time a user logs on to use it, it will start to configure anda box will appear that they click OK on. That sets their username on the software. It shouldn't do so after that point.

elmajdel - Your right. Used it so many times myself. However, I took a note of the URL to it from one of your posts the other day.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                  elmajdel - Your right. Used it so many times myself. However, I took a note of the URL to it from one of your posts the other day.

The world is really small
                  Tarek Majdalani
                  MS Forefront Edge Security MVP

Comment

Working...
                  X