Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why excel or word file display as the file is locked by "computer name" ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why excel or word file display as the file is locked by "computer name" ?

here in my case, the excel or word file displays as the file is locked by "computer name" when the file is already opened by another user, my office version is 2003 with sp3, but i remember that the office 2000 is display as locked by "username".

is it the bug from office 2003 sp3, and can it be modified to display "username" not "computer name"?

thanks!

Re: Why excel or word file display as the file is locked by "computer name" ?

Domain or workgroup? Operating system of the fileserver? Is Office fully up to date on your system? Does this problem affect other users logging onto your computer? Does the problem affect you if you logon to another computer?

Without enough detail, we can't help you.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Domain or workgroup? Operating system of the fileserver? Is Office fully up to date on your system? Does this problem affect other users logging onto your computer? Does the problem affect you if you logon to another computer?

Without enough detail, we can't help you.

thanks gforceindustries,

domain, fileserver:windows server 2003 r2sp2, office is up to data, affect all users, i logon to another computer the same

Comment

What OS are you using on the clients? Is it fully up to date?

Assuming this affects all Excel and Word files, not just one example?

On the fileserver, if you go into Computer Management, look in the Open Files list for a file showing this error and check that the username and computer name are shown correctly
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

What OS are you using on the clients? Is it fully up to date?

Assuming this affects all Excel and Word files, not just one example?

On the fileserver, if you go into Computer Management, look in the Open Files list for a file showing this error and check that the username and computer name are shown correctly

thanks for your reply again!

client all use windows xp sp2 and full to update, this affect all office files..., on the file server-->computer managerment-->open files: i can see the open files and username

Comment

If you're running Windows XP with SP2, then it is not up to date. Service Pack 3 has been out for a long time now.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

If you're running Windows XP with SP2, then it is not up to date. Service Pack 3 has been out for a long time now.
              sorry, my mistake! the OS is XP sp3 already!!

Comment

Working...
              X