Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Word/Excel take ages to open.

Hi everyone,

I have a installation of office 2003 on Windows XP. All the lastest service packs are applied to both office and XP. When doubling clicking a word doc or excel doc which are located on the desktop, the app takes over a minute to bring up the doc. The app loads immediatley whilst the doc takes another 60 seconds. Ive tried changing the DDE options and removing them but this didnt work. Ive also read if you have printers installed on the PC, then they must be on since Office looks for the printers prior to opening the docs but this makes no difference whether the printers are on or off.

Thanks

Re: Word/Excel take ages to open.

Could be the av initialising? Have you tried without it?
    Do the docs have lots of links embedded maybe?

Do you have the issue on another profile on the machine and / or with a blank doc?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Same problem if you open a document stored somewhere other than on the desktop? Does this problem affect multiple users? How big is the user's desktop folder / user profile?
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Andy - Ive tried with AV on and off, no difference. Ive created a second profile and it happens within this profile also. Also, no embedded links or anything fancy, just a plain old excel file or word file which are blank.

GforceIndustries, the office doc can be anywhere on the computer, it makes no difference. The users profile is 800mb in size, I got this from right clicking on the users folder within Documents and Settings.

Something I failed to mention is that once you have opened the file, that file and any other file which is opened into Word or Excel opens at its normal speed (2-3 seconds).

Comment

Are there any other processes running at the same time you are attempting to open the documents?

When you say DDE options, I assume others are sharing the spreedsheets - do other users have similar problems accessing the data?

Does detect/repair show any issues with the installation?

Comment

Going with simonsays on this, it might be worth running process explorer from SysInternals when you open Excel.
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Solution :

Well it seems to be a known problem regarding to various phenomenons.
              According to Microsoft, the best solution is a workaround by applying a startupscript (either, a batch or VBS) that will write the correct values in the Registry.
              The problematic keys and values are as follow:
              HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.8\shell
              (default)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.8\shell\Open\command
              (default)
              command

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.8\shell\Open\ddeexec

Please note that the above lines are belong to Excel 97-2003 document (.XLS). For Excel 2007 document you should replace Excel.Sheet.8 with Excel.Sheet.12.

An example script could looks like:
              reg add HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.8\shell /ve Open /f
              reg add HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.8\shell\Open\command /ve "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" /e "%1" /f
              reg delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.8\shell\Open\command /v command /f
              reg delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.8\shell\Open\ddeexec /f

Comment

Working...
              X