Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Excel File Over the network when it's locked by another user

hi all ,
    we having a problem with excel shared files..

when user open the excel file in edit mode the file got locked and it's ok.
    but when another user try to edit the same file he got error that the file is locked by"user" insted of the AD user name..

can i fix it somehow ?

Re: Open Excel File Over the network when it's locked by another user

Flagged for move to correct forum.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

As noted, we have a perfectly good Office forum (2 actually) for this sort of thing
      SDesign, please tell us which version of Excel it is and I will move the thread

Can you also post a screenshot to tell us what you mean?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

sorry that i taged it in another forum

ok so im working with office 2003 and office 2007 ( 6500 Users in the company )

when someone try to open the file after is college open it before this is the error attached.

i want that when he will try to open it he will see the real user name and not the name : "user"
        Attached Files

Comment

If the file is on a network SHARE then you need to go into Computer Management on the Server (or a machine you have the Admin Tools installed on) and delete the open file so it can be freed up. In my case I have underlined the open file I have used for this example in red.

Click image for larger version

Name:	open-file.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	463887
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I dont think this is what he wants -- he wants to see WHO has locked the file rather than the generic text "user"

Question: is "user" the name used when Windows was installed?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              I dont think this is what he wants -- he wants to see WHO has locked the file rather than the generic text "user"

Question: is "user" the name used when Windows was installed?
              yes ossian ,
              this is the name becuse it's installed from Image and not each computer buy him self..

i know that microsoft has a solution for thiss issue but i cant find it ...

and ossian thx for the help.

Comment

Working...
              X