Excel sorting issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excel sorting issue

If you use the arrow down function it compensates for the start year. For instance if you go down in increments from 2029 to 2027 on the end date, the start date goes from 1930 to 1928.

An employee was pulling in a .csv file that opens correctly, but when she would resort and save as a .csv file a 1919 date in the original .csv file would become 2019 in the newly saved .csv file.

I am looking for any suggestions to prevent this from happening. It is causing a lot of confusion since we deal with 2 digit years in several spread sheets. It is happening with both Excel 03 and 07. I have tried several searches and haven't come up with anything besides checking the regional options, which cannot be changed.

Thank you in advance,

Tim

Re: Excel sorting issue

I think it is actually a feature of the operating system -- how to interpret a 2-digit year.
    In Vista and XP look in Regional and Language Settings -- Regional Options -- Customise -- Date tab
    You will probably find the two computers have different settings.
    The setting can be edited in control panel, but you may need admin permissions and a restart is needed
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I did notice that the Regional settings of the computers were different, but after changing them to the default settings and rebooting, the issue still exists. The settings are like this:

The user is being sent a CSV file with a 2 digit year. She has been doing this for a long time and this is the first time she noticed the issue. Is there a possibility that an update changed the way excel formats dates or something?

Thanks again

Comment

Can you give us an example of one of the problem files?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X