Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2003 SP3 - PST size Discrepancy

Dear all,

I am using Outlook 2003 sp3 on Exchange version: 6.5.7638.1, running on MS Server 2003 enterprise R2 sp2

Use Cached Exchange Mode – this feature is disabled

Could someone kindly advise me on the following question please?

When archiving mail on my local system in *.pst (abc.pst) format, the file size of the abc.pst is for example 766mb (784384kb), but when mail is ‘moved’ from this abc.pst into another *.pst (123.pst) the size of abc.pst remains the same, but the size of 123.pst increases proportionately to the mail moved. When I check the properties of the archived *.pst (abc.pst) folder size, the folder/sub-folder ‘Total size’ of the archive within Outlook 2003 shows (431104kb (421mb)) but the file size of abc.pst remains the same when properties of this file on my local machine is checked, why is this?

P.S. when *.pst are created, they are created with 'No encryption' and 'No Compression', file compression is not enabled on this system, thus no files are being compressed, or encrypted

Thank you in advanced for your time in answering my question.

Thank you

Kind regards

t4run
    Last edited by t4run; 15th July 2008, 15:41.

Re: Outlook 2003 SP3 - PST size Discrepancy

This is the correct behavior, Outlook will recycle that space soon enough on its own. If you want to actually shrink the physical file size, use the 'compact now' button.

See here for more information.

Side note: You post was stellar in providing all the information up front. Just for fun I will point out that this above behavior has nothing to do with exchange. But more info is always better, than not enough
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Dear Lior_S

Thank you very much for your input, that is much appreciated, generally how long does it take for outlook to recycle this space? as after reviewing the pst file it is still the case that there is still a large discrepancy between the files.

Thank you again

t4run

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
      This is the correct behavior, Outlook will recycle that space soon enough on its own. If you want to actually shrink the physical file size, use the 'compact now' button.

See here for more information.

Side note: You post was stellar in providing all the information up front. Just for fun I will point out that this above behavior has nothing to do with exchange. But more info is always better, than not enough

Comment

there is no specific time frame, rather as new emails get archived it will fill the "empty" space leaving the pst file size (on disk) the same.

I would do a "compact now" operation, to manually shrink it. You can do as often as you like.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thanks for your assistance. Much appreciated.

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
          there is no specific time frame, rather as new emails get archived it will fill the "empty" space leaving the pst file size (on disk) the same.

I would do a "compact now" operation, to manually shrink it. You can do as often as you like.

Comment

Working...
          X