Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Word XP is slow to open when.....

We've had this problem for a while now, it is that when I try to open word
    attachments that contains a graphic in it's header and or footer, it takes a
    few minutes to open, users with particularly low spec PC will find that it
    takes them even longer. Is there a way around this? Usually the header and
    footer is just the Company's logo. Thanks for your help.

Re: Word XP is slow to open when.....

Are these documents ones from an email? Assuming so, clear your internet cache. Outlook keeps a cache there sometimes for images (I think).

Also, hit Save As on the document, you'll see where the document's cached. Clear that cache out also. May have to go a folder or 2 up to get all of it.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

No- these are not email attachments, they originally come in as attachments though but once saved, they are very slow to open. I think it's to do with the header and footer which are graphics (usally company logos). The reason I know this is because when I remove them the document opens normally. Ideally I'd like to know if there is a setting in word that will make these documents to open faster without having to remove the company logos first. Thanks for your time and assistance in advance.

Comment

How big are the graphics?
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yeah check the size of the graphics. Ideally they should be in the JPEG format. Bitmaps or BMPs are quite large and should convert these to JPEG for use as your logos.
          Last edited by lazareth1; 11th June 2008, 10:58.

Comment

Thanks lazareth1, my question is how can we open documents without much fuss, thhey're sent to us as email attachments, as soon as our user open them their PCs freeze for up to 15 minutes before the document opens. How can we prevent this? Bear in mind that these are stuff that other people send us.

Comment

Have you tried saving them locally and then opening the saved copy?

Also, what environment are you in (Exchange? Domain?...)
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Yes, I've tried that, the result is the same, I've attached a sample, hope it's alright.
                Last edited by pdania; 18th June 2008, 16:07.

Comment

Opened (including download) within about 20 seconds for me (2Ghz Duo, 4Gb RAM, Vista Business)

Of course, since the document appears to be from the "Peoples Republic of Islington" there might be an issue with the local "Political Correctness" Server preventing it opening too fast for users to fit in a coffee break
                  Last edited by Ossian; 16th June 2008, 12:58.
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

I open this up in IE and in the bottom left corner of the screen when Word kicks in it looks like it is trying (or is) accessing a UNC path. I see something about \\data\service or something similar but my machine or Net connection is too fast and I don't have time to read it. Just get a second or so and it is gone. now that the doc is cached it just opens immediately.

Does anyone else see this and if so, could it be a reason why this doc opens slowly.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If it's the same problem that I'm currently looking at, the problems caused by opening documents that are performing a lookup or call to a network UNC path that no longer exists i.e. print information, template location etc.

Note: - The problem document can be fixed using the method below in Word XP,2003 or 2007.

Word 2007 handles it quite well by giving you the option to "Press ESC to Cancel" when the lookup starts (look at the bottom left status bar) – doc opens in seconds then. Once open, you then go to "Office Button / Prepare / Inspect Document" and inspect the document using the "Document Properties and Personal Information" only selected. This searches the document for hidden metadata such as printer and template info. Once the scans complete, remove the info detected and then save the document - opens in seconds rather than minutes.

Word 2003/XP's a bit different - I haven't worked out a way to bypass the UNC lookup when the document’s opened (YET) but an "Remove Hidden Data tool for Office 2003 and Office XP" MS Add-In can be installed to perform the "Inspect Document Task". You'll have to save the document as a different name, open and then “save as” again and remove the "Read-Only Recommended" in the security options but in essence - removes all hidden meta data and allows the documents to be opened in seconds.

Reference
                      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834427

Download
                      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...B-5446D34E5360

All praise to Word 2007 - liking it more and more as time goes by!!!

I'll post a fix to bypass the UNC lookup in Word 2003 if I find it!!!

Hope this helps!
                      Last edited by FlyerTech; 18th June 2008, 12:11.

Comment

Thanks Flyertech, this explanation seems closer to all that I've seen so far, there are indeed loads of such paths in the document header and footer. It seems as if this and another issue we've got can only be properly resolved with Word 2007, the other issue, is the tiny font size you get in Outlook XP/2003 when you install IE7. Thanks anyway, your help is much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                        X