Cannot activate Word 2003 Most Recent list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot activate Word 2003 Most Recent list

Word 2003 does not display the recent history. I went to Tools, Options, General. The button for activating this feature was grayed out. Miscrosoft support site spoke of a problem involving TweakUI, but I do not use this.

The same problem occurs in Excel 2003.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Cannot activate Word 2003 Most Recent list

is it perhaps disabled in a group policy?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      is it perhaps disabled in a group policy?
      I've looked through the group policies but did not see anything that seemed out of place. Admittedly, I may have missed something. Could you, perhaps, give me a pointer that may help narrow down my search?

Thanks.

Noah
      Last edited by Noah; 7th February 2008, 21:26. Reason: typos

Comment

I am also having the same problem where I cannot see the recently used file list because it is grayed out. Also, I am not running TweakUI.

Another problem that I am encountering with Word is that it does not close down correctly. When I close down, the file will close immediately but the application becomes unresponsive. I have to close the application through task manager.

Any one else having this problem??

Thanks.

Since this posting I have removed unneccessary applications, did a repair from the office installation disk but everything is still the same.
        I then went ahead and uninstalled office, rebooted and reinstalled. It looks like everything is the same as before. Even Outlook opened up as if nothing had happened. SHouldn't uninstall have moved everything out of registry etc? need help on this please.
        Last edited by LucianP; 26th February 2008, 02:00. Reason: more info.

Comment

Originally posted by LucianP View Post
          I am also having the same problem where I cannot see the recently used file list because it is grayed out. Also, I am not running TweakUI.

Another problem that I am encountering with Word is that it does not close down correctly. When I close down, the file will close immediately but the application becomes unresponsive. I have to close the application through task manager.

Any one else having this problem??

Thanks.

Since this posting I have removed unneccessary applications, did a repair from the office installation disk but everything is still the same.
          I then went ahead and uninstalled office, rebooted and reinstalled. It looks like everything is the same as before. Even Outlook opened up as if nothing had happened. SHouldn't uninstall have moved everything out of registry etc? need help on this please.
          Listen i think you have a problem with your operating system.Better check it out or try to reinstall your operating system using someones copy.If this also didn't work and the condition remains the same then you may have to check your cd for new office.

Comment

I was evaluating a shareware called Hare. I think I found it on this forum!!

I had disabled it before reinstalling Office but the problem was still there, so this morning I uninstalled it and now Word is running the way it used to. I still do not have the "recently used file list" but at least Word is working again.

I'm not sure what Hare was doing to speed the PC up. Whatever it was, it ran impressively faster but to the detriment of some applications.

I suppose it's the users call whether they want speed or efficiency. Me? I want things that work right.

Comment

Well, Word still isn't working properly.

When I try to close the application it will hang for quite some time before closing - if it closes at all. Most times I close it from Task Manager.

I do a lot of cut and paste and I think it is because there is stuff on the clipboard that it will not close. It has asked me once or twice if I want to keep the stuff on the clipboard or not. If I say 'no' then it closes but most times I don't get the option.

How can I make sure the clipboard is cleared so that Word closes as it should do?
              Is it just a setting that I have wrong. I hope that's what it is because I would like to install Hare again.

Any ideas???

Comment

[QUOTE=LucianP;95369]I am also having the same problem where I cannot see the recently used file list because it is grayed out. Also, I am not running TweakUI.

Well, I'm glad it's not just me . . . sorry, though, that you're having the same problem.

I have had no response from Microsoft to an email I sent quite some time ago. Sad to say, that is not a surprise.

You said that, "Another problem that I am encountering with Word is that it does not close down correctly." And that, "I have to close the application through task manager."

Someone here —sorry, can't recall the name— suggested that this might indicate a problem with the OS. I think that may be the case also.

Comment

I was running xp media edition which was already installed on the pc when I got it. I don't think it was a kosher version as a lot of things were not right.

I reinstalled xp pro that I had on my old machine and it works ok now.

I must say though, that by reinstalling the os, I also had to reinstall office 2003 so I'm not sure whether it was the os or office. I had reinstalled office before with no effect so it most likely is the os.

You may get away with reinstalling the os or you may have to install a new one if the original is corrupted.

good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Noah View Post
                    Word 2003 does not display the recent history. I went to Tools, Options, General. The button for activating this feature was grayed out. Miscrosoft support site spoke of a problem involving TweakUI, but I do not use this.

The same problem occurs in Excel 2003.

Any help would be appreciated.
                    Hello Noah,

This answer might be a bit late! I hope you already solved your problem. But if you didn't yet, here is what I did to activate the "Recent file list" in Office 2003:

1) Open Regedit. Go to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]. If you have a value named "NoRecentDocsHistory" in the right pane, either set it to 0 (zero) or just delete it.

2) Right click on the Start menu button, choose "Properties", select "Start menu" tab, press the "personalize" (or something similar) button, click the "advanced" tab and in "Recent documents" at the bottom of the page, check the box "Show newly opened documents".

It worked for me. All recently opened documents are now displayed in the File menu of all the Office 2003 programs.

Best of luck,

JC

Comment

Many thanks!
                      Very good first post, gmuk

I am still curious WHY the problem occurred but never mind....
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                      X