EXCEL Question - Total negitive values ONLY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXCEL Question - Total negitive values ONLY

I have a sheet that has 7 cells I want to total. But only total them when they are negitive values. for example, If the 7 cells are "1,0,-1,2,-2,3,-1" I want it to come back and give a positive result of 4 (only totaling the -1,-2,-1). is this possible. (See the pic attached for the example)

OR

Have 1 field, when it is a negitive value, the field below it shows that in a value positive otherwise the lower field is 0

thanks
    Tekjock
    Attached Files

Re: EXCEL Question - Total negitive values ONLY

Look at the SUMIF function, which will add values meeting a specific criterion
    If your numbers are in A1:A7,
    =-SUMIF(A1:A7,"<0")

Note the initial minus sign is to make the result positive
    the criterion "<0" must be in quotes

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ok ... that is with a consecutive range. what if the cells are not next to each other (see SceenCap)

Is there a way to do this. the way the formula is written it will not work. If I have to do the calculations in a hidden column and write it back I can, but is this possiable to do wit the cells not next to each other
      Attached Files

Comment

=-SUMIF(B2:J2,"<0")

Try that.
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I did that, it is still taking the range between the 2 cells. and not each cell.

Comment

Whats in the missing cells?

Could you explain what you are trying to do here -- it might help us to help you!
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by tekjock View Post
              I did that, it is still taking the range between the 2 cells. and not each cell.
              it worked for me.

Comment

Working...
              X