Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way of rolling back Office 2003 SP3?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way of rolling back Office 2003 SP3?

I've got a client who rolled out Office 2003 SP3 via WSUS2 and now finds it has badly broken a custom Access application.

Is there any way of rolling it back, either via WSUS (nothing obvious), Group Policy or a script?

All suggestions greatfully received before I go prematurely gray

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Any way of rolling back Office 2003 SP3?

The old fashioned way of using Add/Remove programs should work. If you select to view updates you'll see Office SP3 listed.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      The old fashioned way of using Add/Remove programs should work. If you select to view updates you'll see Office SP3 listed.
      Google suggests it can't be rolled back, but will try....
      only 50 PCs to do....
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You can't remove the Office 2003 SP3 using Add/remove programs. The only way to do this is thru Windows System restore feature. But again... I think most of the office environments have this disabled on their workstations.
        Also I couldn't find a solution hot to do it via WSUS yet. Please let me know if anyone found a way to automate this.

thanks
        Regards,
        John

Comment

Well I can see SP3 listed in Add/Remove programs. Granted I did not try to uninstall it, but why would it be there if you couldn't?

Comment

What version of Office you got Joe (VLK, OEM etc)?
            How did you apply SP3? I used the Admin version on a VLK version and there is NO uninstall/remove option in Add/remove programs for me. Just wondering what is different between our versions that will give you the remove option.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

We are using a VLK.

Comment

Well I feel like an idiot for posting without confirming what I was saying. I went back to Add/Remove programs and Office SP3 is indeed listed but cannot be removed as others have said. My sincere apologies if I sent you on a wild goose chase looking for a red herring.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                  My sincere apologies if I sent you on a wild goose chase looking for a red herring.
                  Talk about mixing your metaphors!

Cod almighty, you have just started Biggles and I off again..... Plaice your bets....

Back on topic, it looks as if it will be a major uninstall and then a roll out via GP. It appears there is a "force installation" switch which I am investigating
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Working...
                  X