• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excel 2003 hyperlink change in windows 2003 server

Hi,

I’ve a very strange event.
    a few weeks ago I’ve moved from windows server 2k into windows server 2k3
    and all my hyperlinks in my excel doesn't works .what i mean is:
    if i add new hyperlink that point to my docs server (2k3) into excel that is on my desktop and save it it's working fine.
    but if i do exactly the same when the file is on that server (2k3) the link doesn’t work and i see that he change the link address into

../Docs/Projects/Engineering/New_Items/P60276 - Pls. confirm.msg

He add the ".." at the beginning, why is that?

edit the message

ok after littel investigation i see that when i refer to the hyperlink file that i refer to the same server name he change the \\servername into ".." why is that?
    example: if i refer the hyperlink that refer the same server and refer to the same file he change the path

the file is located in \\test\docs\eng\1.excel
    the hyperlink refer to the same location \\test\docs\projects\test\test\1.msg
    Last edited by avipenina; 24th July 2007, 13:52.

Re: Excel 2003 hyperlink change in windows 2003 server

The ../ indicates a relative path -- look up one level from the directory you are currently in.
    For example, if you are in C:\Files\Excel, ../ refers to C:\Files
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

why is that and how a fix it.
      i want that the address will always be the full path that i give him with out any change.
      if i've and excel file in "\\server\docs\eng\1.xls" and in there i've hyperlinks to
      "\\server\docs\eng\msg\1\1.msg" for example, he change the link but if i write in the hyperlink address "\\192.168.1.2\docs\eng\msg\1\1.msg" the hyper link doesn't change. i don't want to use the IP i want to use the server name and that he won't change the address. how i do that?

THX

Comment

It seems to be by design:
        http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...540501033.aspx

Also from Excel 2003 help:
        Set the base address for the hyperlinks in a workbook
        Show All
        Hide All
        By default, unspecified paths to hyperlink (hyperlink: Colored and underlined text or a graphic that you click to go to a file, a location in a file, a Web page on the World Wide Web, or a Web page on an intranet. Hyperlinks can also go to newsgroups and to Gopher, Telnet, and FTP sites.) destination files are relative to the location of the active workbook. Use this procedure when you want to set a different default path. Each time you create a hyperlink to a file in that location, you'll only have to specify the file name, not the path, in the Insert Hyperlink dialog box.

On the File menu, click Properties.
        Click the Summary tab.
        In the Hyperlink base box, type the path you want to use.
        Note You can override the hyperlink base address by using the full, or absolute, address for the hyperlink in the Insert Hyperlink dialog box.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thx. i figure it out 20 min before you post this message but thank you very
          much any way.

Comment

Working...
          X