New Computer "cannot Read..."

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Computer "cannot Read..."

My new Costco HP computer will not let me install my old Office XP PRO software. I am running the included Windows XP OS and the message is "system cannot read from specified device". I have not used the trail version included with purchase. Am I doomed to give Bill $$$, or is there a way? Thanks, rjj

Re: New Computer "cannot Read..."

Can you copy the media to the hard drive? Sounds like a bad CD / DVD reader.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I agree with Rick.

Have you tried using other CDs on the computer? If it is the reader then be sure to get Costco to take care of it for you.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks for responses. Since my inquiry, I managed to install the program(s) but Excel will not open any existing files (crash) and Word won't open at all. When I try to reinstall CD, it's now saying I have an invalid key #. I tried to find a way to change the key via internet, but it rapidly becomes Greek to me. CD reader seems to be functioning otherwise. Thanks, rjj

Comment

I'd uninstall Office, make sure the CD is physically clean, copy the contents of the CD to a folder on the computer (like Rick suggested), run setup from the folder.
          Last edited by JeremyW; 12th June 2007, 01:17. Reason: Made it a bit more clear
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Assuming it is a genuine copy of Office XP, I'm sure Microsoft will replace the CD for a small fee ($6 is the usual for evaluations and SPs)

I would test the CD on another PC and if it works OK, get the new PC repaired under warranty. If you get the same problems on the other PC, the CD itself will be faulty

Tom
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X