Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple users cannot open a MDB file

Hi there

One of the users designed a database in access 2003 and wants all the other users to open it and update its data.
    So, I've created a network share and gave all the users concerned the relevant permissions. They can all see the file but if it's already open by s'one else they can't open it. I've discovered that if someone elso has already opened it, the only workaround is to start msaccess first and thenopen file scroll down to the network share and open it that way.

Any idea why the MDB file doesn't open when you dblclick whithout needing msaccess starting first?

Thanks in advance
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Re: Multiple users cannot open a MDB file

Is the "Default Open Mode" for that MDB set to "Shared"?

Some links to should help explain:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...882881033.aspx

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...882971033.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304528
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Code:
      Is the "Default Open Mode" for that MDB set to "Shared"?

It was set to shared that's why i was scratching the head a bit but then realised that MS Access nedded installing on the server where file was stored, which SORTED the problem, that's why it would work fine when i started Ms Access locally and then open the file.

Thanks for advice as it helped me to rule things out.
      Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Sounds odd that you'd have to install MS Access on a file server.

"Cogito, ergo sunt" = "I think, therefore it is" ???

You must have grand telekinetic capabilities. You should have applied them to your problem here
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Code:
          Sounds odd that you'd have to install MS Access on a file server
          It did sort out the problem, although it may not be best practice , any alternative suggestions might be very usefull.

Code:
          "Cogito, ergo sunt" = "I think, therefore it is" ???
          I'd like to be positive and not keep it real now an again and hey just giving my brain (What's left of it anyway) a bit of pampering.

Code:
          You must have grand telekinetic capabilities. You should have applied them to your problem here
          I am actually using my "Psychokinetic powers" to get people stick to the topic, but i dont think it's worki.n'g. I must be rubish at it.
          Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
          X