excel "save as" hanging

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• excel "save as" hanging

Hello Office gurus,

My excel hangs when i try a save as...

I'm running 2002 office pro and have scoured the box for unmapped and persistant maps. I even did a reinstall as well as remove the security fix KB...(sorry forgot the MS # ref.). I'm at a loss here. What's really frustrating is that other users using the same shared folder can save as instantaneously. I've run a full scan for spy/ad/virus/trojans. What can I do?

Re: excel "save as" hanging

what about local saving? does it hang then?

between you and the others, any difference in security group membership?

do you have any 3rd party applications installed? like maybe you have a signature pad (i do. to sign digital documents) that has macros...

does it do this with anything else besides excel? maybe a bad network drop?

are you sure you have permission to create in that shared folder? can you "save" the document, or does it hang too? like you have modify permission but not create...

what happens if you try to right click and create a new text document on the shared folder? are you allowed?

what about word documents? try to save a .doc file on the shared drive.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Hi James,

Word is the same. Permission on the network drive is not an issue. I really am stumpted with this one. As far as the user tells me, no recent additions to his PC has been made. As it stands, I have made him store his .xls stuff locally and just bring it into the network share at the end of the day.

So local works.

Another network "User" or "Admin" logs on THAT box and tries to save to the share (where they can save from another workstation) -- fails or works???

Move this user to another machine, same share -- fails or works???.

If the answer is (works, fails) then it's looking like a permission issue w/ that user. If the converse, something is probably messed up w/ that workstation and its office install or networking.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

And when you start excel in save mode:
          "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /safemode
          then try Saveas.

other things to try:
          "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /regserver
          (works with other office applications as wel)
          And you then restart Excel in the normal manner.

Under Tools, Options, General --> UNcheck "Ignore other Applications" (?)

- - >
          - - >

Last edited by Rems; 8th March 2007, 18:39.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
          and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts