No announcement yet.

Excel 2003 files takes a long time to open

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excel 2003 files takes a long time to open

I searched the forum and wasn't able to find something referring to the problem explained below...

First, I'll tell you how we set up the network:

All users have Roaming Profiles located on a Windows 2000 server. All workstations have Windows XP Pro. Every Word, Excel, etc. files are located on that same server, shared with NTFS permissions.

The problem is this (I solved the problem, but I don't understand why it's working now...): 3 users are using a shared Excel file around 2.5Mb in size. When one user is trying to open that file, it takes a loooong time (1 to 2 minutes) to open. When I look the Task Manager, Excel.exe takes up to 15% of the CPU and Spoolsv.exe takes up to 60-70% until the file is opened. I tried to open the file with my account (admin acount), and the file opened instantly (2 to 4 seconds).

What I've done to "solve" the problem is to rename the profile of one of these 3 users on the server, delete it locally on the workstation, and log the user back on so the user could start with a brand new profil. When I opened THE file, it opened instantly like it did with my admin account.

Is there something that can corrupt in time a roaming profile? I was also wondering if there was another way that was less time consuming to solve this kind of issue without having to delete and recreate a new profile for the user.

Let me know if you need more info.

Last edited by northface; 20th February 2007, 20:34.

Re: Excel 2003 files takes a long time to open

In my (limited) experience with Roaming Profiles, they have been finicky when going between XP Pro and 2000 Pro... and IIRC if there was significantly different programs on the various computers. I switched to Folder Redirection which suits my needs.

Spoolsv.exe, you say... this is used for printing. AFAIK Excel shouldn't be causing this to use CPU cycles unless it's trying to print something. If you weren't printing something or had anything in the queue, then I'd say to check your computer(s) thoroughly for malware.

PS - you may want to read through this (long) thread
    It has a lot of people sharing their experiences with the spoolsv.exe process.
    Last edited by JeremyW; 27th February 2007, 03:28. Reason: PS

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond