MS Word/Office 2003 slow response

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS Word/Office 2003 slow response

Navigating to different directories has become very slow in my version of MS office 2003 SBE (word and excel). In the "open file" dialog box, when clicking the "look in" drop down list or clicking a sub-directory on the left hand side, the program takes ages to respond. Other software (i.e. not MS Office) works fine.

There are several reports on the net about files being slow to open/load due to bad context menu handlers but that is not the problem - it is navigating the directories that takes ages. The problem arises whether or not I am online or hooked up to my VPN.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

(thinkpad X60, XP Pro, 1.5 gig memory, symantec AV)

Re: MS Word/Office 2003 slow response

Hi Clumps19
    Use Defrag. It is located in All Program -- Accessories -- System tools -- Defrag

some times due to undefrag hard disk also effect loading of programs, files and folders.

Regards

Comment

Thanks, I'll give this a go.

Comment

This is kind of an old thread, so I apologize for that. However, I do have something to add for future reference. If you find that using the drop down box in Office takes a long time, then check all your mapped network drives. Make sure you're able to access them all and they all have a proper username/password combination associated with them if necessary. For whatever reason, if you have a bad mapped network drive, it gets hung up on that for a long time.

Comment

Working...
        X