Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep losing shortcuts in Word 2003

Hi,

I have a user that has some shortcut's setup for use in Word. Each time the machine is restarted the shortcut keys are lost and they have to be created again. Why is this happening and is there a way of stopping the programs from losing these settings? - Apparently it is not an issue in Excel, just Word.

Any Advice?

Thanks!

Re: Keep losing shortcuts in Word 2003

Almost certainly something to do with the normal.dot template file. Is there any message about that file when shutting down?

One user or all on a particular PC?
    What sort of profiles are you using?

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, I thought it might bethe normal.dot template.

The default location is Docs & Settings\user\application data\Microsoft\Templates - is it not? What is the best way to go about recreating this? I think once a new template is in place it will lose all existing settings etc, correct? (It's been a while....)

There is no message when closing Word...single user, cached profiles.

Cheers

Comment

Rename normal.dot and Word will create a new one. If settings stay, look at moving stuff from the old (renamed) copy to the new one

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Renaming the Normal.dot template has no effect it seems. For example If I have Word open on my machine, rename normal.dot it will say I have to close Word, and it will then create a new Normal.dot. If I do the same for this machine with Word open it will just happily rename and not create a new Normal.dot....I have also tried a 'Detect & Repair' to no avail, anything else I can try before re-installing Office?

Thanks

Comment

Do you have a adobe on your machine, such as adobe writer/pro. If so you need to update this and this will fix the problem normal.dot etc.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by tolmie View Post
              Do you have a adobe on your machine, such as adobe writer/pro. If so you need to update this and this will fix the problem normal.dot etc.

Cheers
              Very good call -- I'd forgotten that one.
              If you have Adobe Acrobat (not Reader), check it is up to the latest version (7.0.8 ) as some earlier versions caused problems with Word macros and settings

Rep points (well deserved) awarded

Tom
              Last edited by Ossian; 29th November 2006, 14:47.
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Cheers Tom, nice to help people out, I'm from glasgow, good to know another user from round these parts.

Comment

Originally posted by tolmie View Post
                  Cheers Tom, nice to help people out, I'm from glasgow, good to know another user from round these parts.
                  There is a significant Scottish minority on the board, so welcome.

I'm fae the Bloo Toon
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Thanks for the further suggestions. I know the user does have Adobe Elements installed to allow PDF creation, running version 7.0. I will try and update this and see if it helps (Although Iím a little skeptical...)

Thanks

Comment

Make sure you restart the machine after each update and you will be fine.

Cheers

Comment

Credit where it is due....it's solved the problem. I have since found a stack load of others with this same issue! Unbelievable. We now need to arrange new media packs for all of our offices as I can see this affecting many users....

Cheers all.

Comment

Working...
                        X