MS office v Open office

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS office v Open office

Has any body had any experience of Open Office with regard to its performance and functionality over MS Office, With the ever increasing costs associated with Microsoft Office i am obliged to look at other options.

Any input would be grateful

Regards

Re: MS office v Open office

No experience here, but since its free, why not install it alongside Office and try some tasks on both?

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I use it on Ubuntu (linux) and it's been fine for me.

But I have to admit I'm not a hard core office user. Simple spreadsheets and writing documents but it's been fine!

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Ms office is too good as compare to open office, i used both of them but i think MS office is more user friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by vsakalik View Post
          Ms office is too good as compare to open office, i used both of them but i think MS office is more user friendly.
          MS Office is definitely more user friendly but OpenOffice.org has just as much functionality. Plus, everyone has "grown up" with MS office so they'll be more comfortable with that.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I have one client that insisted on MS office, but did not want to purchase it. I installed Open Office and changed the defaults file types to MS Office (.doc, .xls, ETC).
            She was thrilled, had no idea that it was not "real office".
            "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
              I have one client that insisted on MS office, but did not want to purchase it. I installed Open Office and changed the defaults file types to MS Office (.doc, .xls, ETC).
              She was thrilled, had no idea that it was not "real office".
              LOL nice. I've used both, I espeically prefer Office 2007. The new ribbon menus are awesome and they have actually improved upon Outlook - which is suprising since 2003 was very good. Since I don't have to pay for it I choose Office - MSDN universal .

If I was forced to choose based soley on price ... OpenOffice cause I'm cheap.
              Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Richie
                I tried both of them (MS office or Open office). I found Open office take less space in Hard disk as well as i took less amount of memory. One thing very good about it, it is free to use .
                Use performance monitor while loading those applications one by one. When you compare memory and microprocessor usage, you will find the differnence.

Abdullah

Comment

Working...
                X