Problems Installing Office2K3Pro After Removing 2K3Standard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems Installing Office2K3Pro After Removing 2K3Standard

Hi all, I've come to post here after extensive troubleshooting and Googling. Hopefully I can get some direction on this issue, because I'm completely stumped.

The Scenario:
    I have a group of users with Office 2003 Standard installed. Their installation contains everything except PowerPoint (this is likely not relevent, but more info is always good). Recently, they needed access installed so Access XP (2002) was install along side 2K3 Standard. I performed a custom installation of Office XP so that everything was disabled except for Access and VB Script. I have now found out that our new EA with Microsoft has included Office 2003 Professional for the business, which includes the new version of Access. These users would like to be upgraded to the latest version of Access but I have run into a few problems along the way.

The Problem:
    I discovered, after simply doing an install of 2K3Pro, that it does upgrade Access XP which is very helpful but it does not change the existing installation of Office 2003 Standard. 2K3Pro simply installs the componets with are not currently installed by 2K3STD. This creates a licensing problem for me as eventually, I'll need to move everyone over to Pro.

The Solution:
    I'm using SMS to deploy 2K3Pro as a package, so I created a script to uninstall 2K3STD, it looks like this.
    Code:
    'Made by Brandon Schnierer 10/18/06
    Option Explicit

'create string vars
    dim Office2k3
    'create object vars
    dim objShell

'build a string for the uninstall command
    Office2k3 = "cmd.exe /c MsiExec.Exe /x {90120409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9} /qb"

'create the shell object for running cmd.exe commands
    Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

'run the cmd.exe commands through the object with the compiled strings
    objShell.Run Office2k3
    This script runs first and then starts up the package for 2K3Pro. I'm runnig it with a transform file that is entirely defaults and starting the program with this line:
    Code:
    setup.exe TRANSFORMS="CustomSetup.MST" /qb-
    I've started running into a problem here as well.

The New Problem:
    I'm finding that after running this package, 2K3Pro is now on the system, 2K3STD no longer exists in the add/remove programs menu but 2K3Pro has only installed Access, InfoPath, and PowerPoint; leaving out Word, Excel, and Outlook. This is how 2K3Pro looks after installing it with 2K3STD. I can't find any remnant of 2K3STD on the system, Outlook, Word, and Excel's program files and executables are gone. If I add componets to 2K3Pro through the add/remove programs menu, I can add Outlook, Word, and Excel back in with no problems. I can also uninstall 2K3Pro, run the package again (which errors on the 2K3STD uninstall, but thats ok) and everything shows up on the system like it should.

Where I'm At:
    It seems to me like 2K3Pro thinks there are STD componets still installed, and that is why it won't put Outlook, Word, and Excel on the system. I'm not sure if I need to find files or reg settings that are 2K3STD left-overs or what, basically...I'm stumped. Hoping that someone here may have some words for me.

Thanks for any help everyone!

Re: Problems Installing Office2K3Pro After Removing 2K3Standard

Ok, looks like I've solved the issue myself. I'll post it up incase any comes accross a similar problem.

Office XP was the problem. Even though Office 2003 Pro was set up upgrade any existing installations it was running into a problem with XP, I can't say what for sure. I created a quick script to uninstall Office XP as a last ditch effort

Code:
    'Made by Brandon Schnierer 10/19/06
    Option Explicit

'create string vars
    dim OfficeXP
    'create object vars
    dim objShell

'message box warning to close all office apps
    MsgBox "Please close Outlook and all Office applications before proceeding."

'build a string for the uninstall command
    OfficeXP = "cmd.exe /c MsiExec.Exe /x {91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9} /qb"

'create the shell object for running cmd.exe commands
    Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

'run the cmd.exe commands through the object with the compiled strings
    objShell.Run OfficeXP
    Although it adds another layer of complexity and time to this installer/uninstaller ti did resolve the issues I was having.

Comment

Working...
    X