Sync (backup) notebooks on domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sync (backup) notebooks on domain

I have a number of notebooks which I need to backup their My Documents folders onto a file server.

I've looked at Windows Offline Files, but that only syncs server shares with the notebooks and thus is not appropriate.

Is there an easy way to do this when a notebook user logs off the domain?

Windows XP SP2
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Sync (backup) notebooks on domain

The way I do it is redirect their My Documents to a file server.

When you configure the GPO to redirect the My Documents, Offline Files is enabled by default and it will also move the contents of their current location to the new one.

HTH
    Attached Files
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I'm a bit confused. I know how to setup the MDocs redirect to the server, but are you saying I should use Offline Files to sync this location back to their notebook?

I had a look at Offline Files and it seems to take all the sync'ed files off the server and put them into ONE folder (the Offline Folder) on the notebook. How do I get the Offline Folder to replace the MDocs folder on the notebook so that the users still have a My Documents folder when they are not online?

Or am I doing something wrong?
      Last edited by JDMils; 28th September 2006, 01:10.
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      |

Comment

Offline Files keeps a cached copy of the file that's on the network so you can access it even when you are not connected to the network. As far as the users are concerned they still see it as accessing the network resource even though they're not connected to it. If you modify an Offline File while not connected to the network, the next time you do connect the changes you made will be synced back to the server (and vice verse)

EDIT - Technically it does put all the offline files into one folder but if you were to browse to it you wouldn't be able to access them that way...

this explains Offline Files better http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true
        and this one http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true
        Last edited by JeremyW; 28th September 2006, 01:56.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

So when the GPO moves the MyDocs folder to the server, and thus Offline Files are automatically enabled, what happens on the notebook?

Do the files now appear in ONE folder, the Offline Folder, or do they appear in the same structure as the MyDocs folders on the server?

If the files appear on the notebook in ONE folder, the Offline Folder, then to the notebook user, there is no folder structure to work with. Is this the case?
          |
          +-- JDMils
          |
          |

Comment

In the second link I just put up in my previous post addresses this:

By using Offline Files, users can continue to work with a copy of network files even when they are not connected to a network. If your organization has mobile users with portable computers, Offline Files gives them access to their files when they are not connected to the network, and ensures that they are always working with the current version of network files. By using a cached version of the files, users can open and update files even when they are not connected to the network. Offline Files stores the data in the computer's cache to make network files available offline. The cache is a portion of disk space that a computer accesses when it is not connected to the network. The view of shared network items that you have made available offline remains as it is when connected, even if users lose a connection to the network or they remove a portable computer from the docking station. Users can continue to work with the Offline Files as they normally do when online. Users have the same access permissions to those files and folders as when they are connected to the network. When users dock a portable computer and the network connection is restored, any changes they made while working offline are updated to the network
            When I said "Technically it does put all the offline files into one folder" is a little confusing. I was talking about where Windows caches the files (and the hierarchy info I assume)
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

OOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I missed that last point. The network share which you enable as available Offline is actually available when the notebook is Offline. I just couldn't get my head around that part!

Thanks, I have seen the nano light!
              |
              +-- JDMils
              |
              |

Comment

Working...
              X