how do I install office 2003 from hard drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do I install office 2003 from hard drive

I have copied office 2003 pro to my hard drive from the CD, but when I try to install from the Hard drive I get an error message saying that the installation source is corrupt. Any help.

Re: how do I install office 2003 from hard drive

1. What happens when you try to install from CD ?
    2. Try to run .MSI file from the setup folder..

Comment

Did you try recopying the CD a second time? Data corruption has been know to happed during a copy.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Alternatively do an administrative setup:
        Run setup /a from the CD and follow instructions. You can then run setup from the network share.

Finally, you could create an ISO image of the CD and mount it as a virtual CD drive and run setup from there.

Basically Office is not designed to be setup from anything except a CD (real or virtual) or an admin setup point. Probably you can run setup direct from a HD but its not supported.

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The reason why I want to install from the hard drive is that:- I have connected to my home computer in England where the CD is in the drive and copied it remotely to my laptop here in the US. I don't have my CD physically with me.

I am using a remote online connection company to link to my home computer. I should have mentioned that earlier. Anymore help on how to install from my laptop hard drive. Anyone up for the challenge.
          Last edited by traceridley; 13th September 2006, 14:36.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
            Did you try recopying the CD a second time? Data corruption has been know to happed during a copy.
            Did you? .
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I tried to recopy the CD. I did however copy the CD to my home computer in england through my remote connection and got the same result. This makes me think that there really isn't a corruption issue. I think microsoft has designed that installation occurs from CD only. there must be a way around this.

Comment

Hi Tracey,
                Could you please post rather than emailing so the answer can be shared with other readers
                The reason why I want to install from the hard drive is that:- I have connected to my home computer in England where the CD is in the drive and copied it remotely to my laptop here in the US. I don't have my CD physically with me.

I am using a remote online connection company to link to my home computer. I should have mentioned that earlier. Anymore help on how to install from my laptop hard drive.

explain it to me as if I was a 6 year old!!!!!!!!
                I didnt realise from your earlier posts that you did not have physical access to the CD.
                I have just tried copying the files from an Office 2003 CD and running setup from the local hard drive and everything seems to be working without problems. I suspect, since youve copied the files over the Atlantic, that something may be corrupted in transit.

You may have to see if you can borrow an Office CD -- since you own one yourself, you should have no problems with licensing.

Good Luck!

Tom
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by traceridley
                  I tried to recopy the CD. I did however copy the CD to my home computer in england through my remote connection and got the same result. This makes me think that there really isn't a corruption issue. I think microsoft has designed that installation occurs from CD only. there must be a way around this.
                  I run all my Office installs by copying to the HDD and installing from there and have never had a problem to this time.

When you copied to the PC, did you Remote in and copy or did you copy to the HDD through the Laptop?

If you have access to the CD via your PC, why not try an install from the CD? I am inclined to think you may have a dud spot on the CD itself that will not copy. It is unlikely that Microsoft will not have made it so you can't copy to the HDD. What sort of version is it, OEM, Small Business, VLK?
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I believe the solution is this. the first attempt I copied the files (doing a drap) from within the CD drive, the next attempt I drag and drop the CD drive to my laptop and found that the entire CD was copying. Now I have to see if it will install. I will keep "y'all" (that what I've learned being in the states) posted as to the results.

Thanks

Comment

Just wanted to thank everyone for there advice.

I managed to copy the entire CD remotely to my laptop here in the US. The solution was to copy from root level and not from with in the drive. I just simply drag and drop the drive to my laptop.

Great now I can do my work. Thanks again

Comment

Excellent and thanks for letting us know it all worked out. We appreciate that.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                        X