Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if someone cancels a credit card on month to month?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if someone cancels a credit card on month to month?

If someone signs up to office 365 month to month and then cancels their credit card, what happens?

Does office 365 somehow get disabled or a warning in the following month?

For example, if they are using pop or on premise exchange, they dont need to sign in to their microsoft online account, so could potentially keep using their office product couldn't they?

Re: What if someone cancels a credit card on month to month?

If you're talking about Office 365 home (or E3 for business) then the Office suite install will become invalid once the subscription expires.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
      If you're talking about Office 365 home (or E3 for business) then the Office suite install will become invalid once the subscription expires.
      Yeah, like home versions or office 365 business or business premium.

Cant they just sign up to month to month, download and install it on their computers , cancel their credit card and just keep office fully functioning on their computer?

What makes it stop working if they dont have to sign in?

Comment

Its linked to the login details that are provided.

There are no product keys applied when they install the software and it checks periodically to make sure it is still valid.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          Its linked to the login details that are provided.

There are no product keys applied when they install the software and it checks periodically to make sure it is still valid.
          Ahh ok, yeah I have been confused about that bit. When a client first logs into the portal to download their software, yes, thats a once off time they need to login, but they dont need to login after that do they if they are not using one drive, outlook with exchange provided by O365 etc do they?

So if they don't authenticate, how does it check?

Comment

Originally posted by mobius2011
            So if they don't authenticate, how does it check?
            You work in IT and you can't think of any possible ways for an extremely large software company to check if you are accessing a valid account?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              You work in IT and you can't think of any possible ways for an extremely large software company to check if you are accessing a valid account?
              You could have just said you didn't know instead of coming out with a condescending remark.

I'm just trying to get my head around the whole O365 thing and though there would be people who could help.

Comment

I don't know the ins and outs of it but I would presume it is similar to a KMS server where your system checks in every now and then and validates its licence.

That's probably a bit simplistic but its the easiest way I can think of lol

Comment

I don't know the ins and outs of it but I would presume it is similar to a KMS server where your system checks in every now and then and validates its licence.

That's probably a bit simplistic but its the easiest way I can think of lol
                  Ok, thanks. Yeah I imagined/hoped there would be some mechanism behind it like that, but Ive just never seen it in action and thought it might be known by someone. I'll just leave it at that and hope that there is that mechanism. We are going to start to resell it and I wanted to do some due diligence on the ins and outs and ways people can game it.......so I can thwart it, haha.

Comment

You could have just said you didn't know instead of coming out with a condescending remark.
                    Not condescending, rather trying to get you to think of some way rather than be, for want of a better phrase, spoon fed. Please excuse any phraseology you might find offensive but I have been up for 27 hours and the brain, which doesn't work the best now, is working even worse.

Be content that your weather is shitloads better than mine this weekend. Have a good one.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Be content that your weather is shitloads better than mine this weekend. Have a good one.

I beg to differ young sir. It is at the moment absolutely Baltic.

Comment

Not condescending, rather trying to get you to think of some way rather than be, for want of a better phrase, spoon fed.
                        It's something I had spent a fair bit of time searching on the interwebs for and even asked a microsoft rep at an O365 conference and still couldn't find out. Hence my searches expanded.

Please excuse any phraseology you might find offensive but I have been up for 27 hours and the brain, which doesn't work the best now, is working even worse.
                        I excuse you sir. I think the lack of sleep thing is inherent to IT. I've been suffering the same of late.

Comment

I beg to differ young sir. It is at the moment absolutely Baltic.
                          I think that was just tues and wed Wullie. We are back to good QLD weather now Past 2 days were crap, but it will be 29C today, 31C sat, Sun-Tues 26C Niiiiiiice.

Comment

Still cold in the morning though

Comment

If your subscription lapses, then the Office Product will give you a grace period.
                              It actually appears as a bar at the top of the product.
                              Once it's completely expired, it gives a bright, red, unregistered product bar.

Precisely how it works, I'm not sure. But when you activate an Office365 product, you give it sign-in details so it's always signed in in the background.
                              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                              X