No announcement yet.

winmail.dat from Office365 and Windows 8.1 Users

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winmail.dat from Office365 and Windows 8.1 Users

Issue: Client sends email with attached Word, excel, or pdf attachment, some recipients receive it fine, some receive the attachment as a winmail.dat file and canít open it.

Operating System: Windows 8.1
    Office Version: 2013
    Email: Office 365 hosted exchange

Happens on all PCís at client site running 8.1
    Does not happen on one client pc Running Windows 7 and Office 2010

Set up a Windows 8.1 machine with Office 2013 at our office, tested sending attachments to known email addresses who receive the attachments as winmail.dat files, all received the test email attachments fine. I tested both my email account and the clients email account, same results.

Some google searches suggest adding the attachment 3 different ways, drag and drop, attach with paperclip icon, and from within the office application, file, share, email, send as attachment .

Microsoft article suggests 4 different resolutions, we have tried them all with no resolution.

Re: winmail.dat from Office365 and Windows 8.1 Users

we try not to double post like this...

this is an outlook issue and will receive plenty of views without having to post it twice.

see your other thread of the same title and message for my response.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Re: winmail.dat from Office365 and Windows 8.1 Users

Closing the other thread since it is Office 365 related
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **