Office 365 for home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office 365 for home

I just saw an ad: Office 365 for the family, 80 per year.

If I am not wrong, years ago you just paid 139 per product, not per year, and that product was useful for some years: Office 2007, 2010, 2013 , for three years more or less.

Is it a good approach ? Would not that make people move towards OpenOffice ?

Why do they do it like that ? I find it far more expensive.
    -
    Madrid (Spain).

Personally, I think Office 365 is fantastic. With Office 365 Home you get to install the latest version of Office on multiple computers and devices (5 computers, 5 tablets and 5 smartphones), you don't have to worry about installation media or product keys, you always get the latest version of office if your subscription is active, etc., etc. I haven't done a cost analysis but I have to think this is cheaper in the long run than buying multiple licenses of Office for all of your devices every time a new version is released. I'll never go back to buying retail versions of Office.

Comment

There's a difference in what you get between Office 365 and buying the Office suite. With 365 you also get the email accounts with better security, uptime, no ads etc than you would from Outlook or another free email provider, you get OneDrive with 1TB of storage, Skype minutes and you get version upgrades for the suite.

I honestly don't know if I would buy it for my own use, I'm a Microsoft partner so I get 5 Office 365 E3 licenses as part of my subscription and use them for my business. Having the email, files and Skype for Business across all my devices is very useful and a perfect solution for a small company like mine.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by loureed4 View Post
        I just saw an ad: Office 365 for the family, 80 per year.
        If I am not wrong, years ago you just paid 139 per product, not per year, and that product was useful for some years: Office 2007, 2010, 2013 , for three years more or less.
        Is it a good approach ? Would not that make people move towards OpenOffice ?
        Why do they do it like that ? I find it far more expensive.
        Well Luis, welcome to SaaS. Microsoft tried in about 1997/98 to get ISPs to host Office on the ISP Server and if you wanted to type a letter then you subscribed to the ISP to use the word processor (MS Word). It has taken a lot longer than they wanted but very soon I believe there will be very little media around to install. With SaaS, the companies like Microsoft will have you over a barrel and be able to charge fairly much what they like. You have noticed that already with your comparison of the prices of Office 2007, 2010 & 2013. I have a client who is still using Office 2003. It still allows them to type up documents, merge address lists and print envelopes. It still works for them. If they buy into the SaaS with Office 365 (I wonder if it can be used on February 29) then they are stuck with Microsoft and paying them fees every week, month or year.

Comment

Originally posted by JJKing View Post
          Well Luis, welcome to SaaS. .
          What is SaaS ...paying for Service as a... ?

-
          Madrid (Spain).

Comment

I personally like the Cloud, to have my documents in the cloud rather than in my physical disk.

There is something that I like about that:

1- No need to back up
            2- You go to Tokyo tomorrow, and you have those documents for you and not tied to a machine
            -
            Madrid (Spain).

Comment

3. You lose internet access....
              4. Your payment goes wrong....
              5. Who else has access to your documents (you, your friends, Microsoft, their friends, all the TLA's you can think of)

Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

SaaS. Software as a Service = (as in) Windows 10 & Office 365.

6. If your data is lost the "Cloud" company disavows any knowledge of their responsibility.

Comment

If you lose internet connectivity, there is not such thing as "work off-line" ? ... Outlook has always had that feature.

Who else can access your data? ...Yes, I have a friend who always insists on that too.

I thought the data was encrypted in the cloud, ...too naive?

I like the Cloud, maybe the "offline" work should be improved , a cache in the machine with all your office 365 documents, and only the changes are synchronized ?
                  -
                  Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post

3. You lose internet access....

Now that I come to think about this, a pc or any other device is nothing without the internet. I think.

Nowadays, ISP Providers guarantee 99.99% uptime, and they are more and more reliable.

I haven't had any internet related issued for years, and when I have them, it takes minutes.

Probably that will be the trend: ISP will guarantee 99.999% uptime, or 99,99%, that is some minutes in a whole year.

-
                    Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Originally posted by loureed4
                      Now that I come to think about this, a pc or any other device is nothing without the internet.
                      Mmm, don't think so. Without an Internet connection you only lose connectivity. You can still do everything else on a PC except go outside the range of your wi-fi or wired network. Does losing the ISP stop you from typing up a document, creating a spread sheet or manipulating an image using your installed software?

Comment

Originally posted by loureed4 View Post
                        If you lose internet connectivity, there is not such thing as "work off-line" ? ... Outlook has always had that feature.

Who else can access your data? ...Yes, I have a friend who always insists on that too.

I thought the data was encrypted in the cloud, ...too naive?

I like the Cloud, maybe the "offline" work should be improved , a cache in the machine with all your office 365 documents, and only the changes are synchronized ?
                        Yes there is.

With your Office 365 subscription you are allowed to install the office package on your computer. This give you access to the apps that the office package would have.

OneDrive will sync your documents locally so you can still work on them.

Email will work if you configure outlook to connect to Office 365. You obviously won't be able to send and receive but you can still work.

Comment

Thanks Wullieb. I subscribed to 365, and it looks great, and I have been granted 1 TB of space in OneDrive, which is amazing! , for just 9 euro per month.

Well, in previous versions you paid 200 euros and you had it for three years, maybe it was cheaper.
                          -
                          Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Microsoft Office 365 have different plans include Office 365 Home. Before going to any plan I think first you should visit Microsoft site as well as any Office 365 consultants who help more in your situation.

Comment

Originally posted by samkevin View Post
                              Microsoft Office 365 have different plans include Office 365 Home. Before going to any plan I think first you should visit Microsoft site as well as any Office 365 consultants who help more in your situation.

Thanks a lot.
                              -
                              Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Working...
                              X