No announcement yet.

Office 365 email without Internet!

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office 365 email without Internet!

Hi all
    I have a client with, until recently, SBS2003 on premise server which needed upgrade so we've introduced a new server Windows Server 2012 and migrated the email to Exchange Online via a new Office 365 subscription. Everything's working great except that he now wants to restrict Internet access to 0 for one user. Since Exchange is online and authentication is done over ports 80 and 443 (I understand) if I block Internet as requested, email will stop working.

Any suggestions?

As you say, standard (https) access to Exchange Online is needed (plus O365 authentication, updates etc) so blocking all access will not work

The only suggestion I can make is some form of Proxy server with a whitelist of allowed sites/IPs for the problem user. However the work involved will be considerable, and mustraise the question - is this really required, or will "user re-education" sort out whatever inappropriate internet use has caused this?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Thanks, you've confirmed my fears but you've also given me the clue to a possible solution.

I like the user re-education idea and would usually follow that through but the scenario is a small business with a manufacturing/stores facility where the unsupervised single user and his computer reside away from offices and management areas. Prevention rather than cure seems to be the client's preferred approach.

There is content filtering available through the router but it doesn't seem flexible enough for this however for antivirus they use AVG CloudCare and that means they already have access to a content filtering facility for a small extra charge. If the work involved is acceptable I'll give it try and let you all know if it's successful or not.

Works like a charm, no issues so far after blocking all traffic except the few sites