This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winmail.dat from Office365 and Windows 8.1 Users

Issue: Client sends email with attached Word, excel, or pdf attachment, some recipients receive it fine, some receive the attachment as a winmail.dat file and canít open it.

Operating System: Windows 8.1
    Office Version: 2013
    Email: Office 365 hosted exchange

Details:
    Happens on all PCís at client site running 8.1
    Does not happen on one client pc Running Windows 7 and Office 2010

Set up a Windows 8.1 machine with Office 2013 at our office, tested sending attachments to known email addresses who receive the attachments as winmail.dat files, all received the test email attachments fine. I tested both my email account and the clients email account, same results.

Some google searches suggest adding the attachment 3 different ways, drag and drop, attach with paperclip icon, and from within the office application, file, share, email, send as attachment .

Microsoft article https://support.microsoft.com/kb/278061/en-us suggests 4 different resolutions, we have tried them all with no resolution.

Re: winmail.dat from Office365 and Windows 8.1 Users

could you tell them to stop sending email in rich text and use plain text instead?

who is hosting your domain? is this a godaddy hosted 356 instance?
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
      could you tell them to stop sending email in rich text and use plain text instead?

who is hosting your domain? is this a godaddy hosted 356 instance?
      This is Microsoft Office 365 Exchange - as my original message said. Using Outlook to Outlook.

Comment

i have a few clients that use the godaddy hosted 365 plan and they always have quirky problems... like its a generic exchange server with 96.999% the functionality of exchange but not.

just curious.

so anyways, you understand that this is the expected behavior when sending rtf emails, correct? the only products that read them are M$ things like live outlook, outlook express, live mail, etc.

furthermore, there are known vulnerabilities that exploit the expected behavior that your describing.

these days we send in plain text or htm...
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Working...
        X