Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add a field to a table??

Hi

I know nothing about Access, and was wondering if someone could help us with a small problem.

We have recently upgraded to Access 2013 and on one of the machines that I am trialling it on, a 'jobs' database is not displaying properly.

The screen shot shows a form in design view. The area outlined in red is effectively a comments area. When displayed in Access 2003 the fields are visible and data can be manually entered. When displayed in Access 2013 the area outlined in red displays as a blank white box.

The problem is highlighted in the drop down menu. I have looked these errors up and there is a suggestion that the fields enclosed by the red rectangle shown in design view - RepNo, Completed, Dispatched - need to added to a table. However, I've no idea how this would be achieved. Also, this database is essential and we cannot afford to make any mistakes getting it to work with Access 2013.

http://img674.imageshack.us/img674/5198/HqGR8H.jpg

I'm sure that the solution is quite easy, but I'm not prepared to 'experiment' with such an important database. Can anyone help? If not, we'll get someone in.

The database was created for us many years ago by a professional database designer. We used to have a guy who was conversant with Access but he no longer works for us

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: Add a field to a table??

Hi Blood
    For some reason the image is blank - may be a corporate firewall issue

Without seeing both versions of the database it would be difficult to say much but you could, for example, open the form design in 2003 and check the table/field it maps to, then confirm the same table/field exists in 2013 and check the mapping
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Tom, image of Access 2013. Just realised I am confused. This is the 2013 version but where is the blank "white box" Blood? Need some screen shots of the errored section. Use the Snipping Tool in Windows 7 if you don't have SnagIt to capture the problem part. Also, what steps did you take to do the upgrade? Big jump from Access 2003 to 2013.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blood-MSA2013-65.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	466888
      Last edited by biggles77; 21st October 2014, 15:38.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks - I'll get a screen shot of the form in normal view from both 2003 and 2013. However, the field displays as a blank white area - no text, no grid, no lines at all. Just a white rectangle in 2013.

We tested out the major functions of the database out of work hours after backing it up and it seemed OK, so I left the installation of Office 2013 Pro-Plus in place on the test PC so we could pick up on any problems before rolling it out to everyone.

I'll post back tomorrow morning.

Comment

What steps did you take to upgrade/migrate the database from 2003 to 2013?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Haha we didn't.

My original plan was simply to backup and monitor the changes, restore the backup, work out what needed to be done, make a backup, test again etc etc

Everything I'd read about this said that the database would be converted to an acdb format (or something similar). This was why I backed it up first and sat with someone while they checked the major functions worked. When it worked, and we tested with a system using Office 2003 at the same time to make sure both could access the DB simultaneously, I said that they should leave the 2013 installation in place and we can monitor it and deal with any glitches as they arise.

The person who has it installed has been in meetings most of the day and very busy other times so I've not been able to get a screenshot of the white box, but, here's one showing how it looks in Access 2003. The area is outlined in the perfectly drawn circle:

Comment

Have a read of this and see if it solves the problem.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks, biggles77

First, here's how it appears in Access 2013:

The person I mentioned above who used to carry out minor DB work is popping in tomorrow to have a look at this. So, hopefully, they may say Easy!

The other issue as I discovered yesterday is that there are several other databases that link to this one. So, if this issue is sorted out we will need to go through all of them. That will take a lot of time.

Once it is all working then we will convert as shown in the link you kindly provided. I don't want to convert them until I can see all of them working as they should. However, if it proves to be a tedious process I shall find out exactly where all the databases are and back them all up and convert them all. The only issue with that is getting someone who knows about all of them to work with me for most of one day over a weekend and that is not easy.

Thanks again.

Comment

OK, the guy who used to work on this has been in. He opened the Linked Table Manager and discovered that the fields were trying to get data from a particular mdb file. When he tried to open that mdb Access 2013 reported it could not open a DB from an older version. It can, however, open the other mdb's listed in the Table Manager.

So, plan is to back up again, open the affected mdb in Access 2003, save it in 2003 format, see if it can then be opened by Access 2013. If it can we'll open the main database in 2003 to make sure it is still OK and if it is we'll then open it in 2013 and keep our fingers crossed.

I can see this is going to be a major undertaking as we will have to test every other database that relies on this. I might suggest we get someone in to do it for us as I really have no idea of the repercussions if anything goes wrong.

Comment

Is there any ODBC entries for this?
                    Did he mention anything about Migrating the database from 2003 to 2013 using the tool in Access?
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I have no idea (which is my problem) about ODBC. But, we can't migrate until Access 2013 can read all the databases/tables etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X