No announcement yet.

Microsoft PowerPoint is Not responding

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft PowerPoint is Not responding

I am unable to use any of my Office suites, excel, word etc.
    It works for about 5 minutes , then i get Microsoft excel, is not responding restart the program. I tryed running a repair to no avail.

Thanks in advance,

Re: Microsoft PowerPoint is Not responding

PC or MAC? Is it on a domain or a standalone device?

How long ago did this start, and how long had it been working before the failure?

Have new programs been installed recently, or updates applied to the OS or Office, or hardware changes made?

Without more detail, there's not a lot to suggest. You could try:
    *-Uninstall Office completely, reboot the PC.
    *-Do a drive cleanup, then a defrag.
    *-Reboot the Pc again, the reinstall Office.
    *-If Office2010, make sure it's activated after the install
    *-Update the machine, 'cause the new 'virgin' Office install will certainly have updates pending
    *-Report back.

While some might say that I'm sending the submitter thru more effort than necessary, I've found over the years that the defrag option has helped so often that I've adopted it as a basic troubleshooting step. It's actually solved quite a few problems.
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Thanks for your reply, it's a PC and its a standalone, I'm gonna go with the disk defrag, since running a repair didn't help. I heard the diagnostic tool is no longer available on office 2010 so I will disable some unnecessary add ons if the defrag doesn't help.

Thanks again,

Can Watson2013 also clarify:
        Which office application (title is PowerPoint, post refers to Excel)
        Does the PC have sufficient RAM for large files (and Excel can be very large)?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **