Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office 2010 and msp files

Morning all,

We have created an msp file for office that includes some customizations. One of them is to create an outlook profile and pre-populate the exchange server info. This worked great for the company until we decided to upgrade from 2007 to 2010. The server that was entered in the msp file is no longer online so when a new user logs in to a PC outlook fails to connect to exchange.

I have been able to fix this in the msp file itself so any subsequent installs are fixed. My problem lies with existing installations and mainly conference rooms PCs. A quick easy fix is to edit the hosts file and point the old server name to the IP of the CAS array. This is a band-aid in my eyes.

So my question is, where are the settings changed in the MSP file saved? Specifically the Outlook profile settings? I've searched the registry but it seems the keys only get created once Outlook is launched for the first time as the user.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Office 2010 and msp files

Originally posted by IceNine View Post
    So my question is, where are the settings changed in the MSP file saved? Specifically the Outlook profile settings? I've searched the registry but it seems the keys only get created once Outlook is launched for the first time as the user.
    Outlook profiles are stored in subkeys under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Sofware\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Olmy View Post
      Outlook profiles are stored in subkeys under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Sofware\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles.
      This is true, however the profile does not get created until outlook is run for the first time as that user. I should've mentioned this in my OP. There has be to a place where these settings are stored and outlook reads them while launching... just can't seem to find it anywhere.

Comment

This is true, however the profile does not get created until outlook is run for the first time as that user. I should've mentioned this in my OP. There has be to a place where these settings are stored and outlook reads them while launching... just can't seem to find it anywhere.

You said the issue was with existing installs though, correct?
        "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

From memory i think you can run the modified msp files on the effected pc's and it should apply the new settings.
          Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
          I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
          MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

@Managor - Yes, mainly just conference rooms PC's since there are a lot of unique user logins. It only occurs when someone launches outlook for the first time.

@uk_network - You are correct. msiexec.exe /p \\server\share\custom.msp is how you run the msp alone.

I was just wondering if there is some sort of flat file that gets created with these settings that i can edit manually. Just not sure where outlook is getting the info the create the profile during the first run. Might be a lost cause though and just end up re-running the msp for the whole lot.

Comment

Why not use Group Policy to push out the msp? that would be much easier than editing a file or some registry keys.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi, its called a .prf file which is part of the MSP file. This is the part where outlook gets its settings, it is possible to just work with the prf file and not the msp.
                in the Office Customization Tool (OCT) you can export the .prf this file can be edited manually.

Links for further info:
                http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/deployprf.htm
                http://outlookmail.wordpress.com/
                I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

@Jeremy - mgmt is opposed to group policy here. He doesn't like the fact that it is "always on" with it's settings.

@uk_network - I did come across that yesterday and was messing around with it. Now i'm having an issue where for existing users it is creating a new profile instead of modifying the default profile. I need to figure out how to get it to stop doing that. Not a viable solution as i don't want to give everyone a new profile.

Will keep testing...

***Update***
                  I searched locally for the .prf file and did find one in C:\program files (x86) Microsoft Office\custom14.prf - this may vary in your environment. This looks to be the file that drives outlook profile creation. In our case, editing this file is the same as re-running the updated .msp. It still doesn't solve the issue of the existing users getting caught up in this error. More testing
                  Last edited by IceNine; 31st July 2013, 15:09. Reason: Update added

Comment

Existing profiles you would need to go into control panel/mail/e-mail profile and update the server there, this would be for each user. Or you could sent out an instruction for them to do it them selves.

Alternatively you could always remove all the windows profiles from the meeting room PC's (maybe back them up first), then they will be re created with the new setting when the user next logs in.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

@Jeremy - mgmt is opposed to group policy here. He doesn't like the fact that it is "always on" with it's settings.
                      I'm not sure what you mean by "always on".
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

mgmt is opposed to group policy here. He doesn't like the fact that it is "always on" with it's settings.
                        Does "mgmt" have a clue about Group Policy (or even IT in general)?

Educate them in Group Policy Preferences!
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If you set a group policy setting and allow it to be changed. The next time GP is applied the setting will be changed again. That's what they mean by always on.

Comment

If you set a group policy setting and allow it to be changed. The next time GP is applied the setting will be changed again. That's what they mean by always on.
                            Are you being serious?

What happens when you have to rebuild a machine and these settings need to be applied to that machine, or when a new machine enters the building and needs the settings applied.

A group policy will be processed but if the relevant change has already been made it won't make it again. It will check though and revert anything that has been changed from the policy.

Try it with your IE home page and you'll see what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                              Are you being serious?

What happens when you have to rebuild a machine and these settings need to be applied to that machine, or when a new machine enters the building and needs the settings applied.

A group policy will be processed but if the relevant change has already been made it won't make it again. It will check though and revert anything that has been changed from the policy.

Try it with your IE home page and you'll see what I mean.
                              That's exactly what I mean. I should have prefaced that, we have a mentality of giving users the "correct" settings but still allow them to change it if they wish. Don't get me started on this. It's an uphill battle I'm trying to fight ever since I joined the firm. My manager likes to argue with users when stuff breaks because they changed whatever... to me this is asinine and causes undue stress on IT and End user sides. Take away the right to change the setting and you have a) nothing that can break b) no arguments.
                              So yes, mgmt is opposed to group policy because it will revert any changes made back to what the setting should be. Hope that clarifies it.

Comment

Working...
                              X