No announcement yet.

Intranet error when opening XLSX

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intranet error when opening XLSX

We have an intranet on which we place links to excel sheets on the network. We recently migrated from Office 2003 to Office 2010. If we create a new Excel file with the XLSX extension and put the link on the intranet, only the first person can open this file and the rest get's 'cannot download <filename>.xlsx'.

So the first user locks the file and I understand that, but why are the other users not getting a warning that the file is in use and if you want to open it Read-Only? Because if I open it straight on the network (not via intranet) then I do get this warning message.

So it seems that IE9 is not able to show this warning message or something like that.

Does anyone know in which direction i have to search for?
    By the way. The company policy states we have to use IE9....

Re: Intranet error when opening XLSX

Its not something to do with trusted locations in Office 2010? as 2003 didnt have this.

Re: Intranet error when opening XLSX

I'm not sure but I don't think that's the problem. Because if it is opened directly from the UNC location, you do get a warning message. (File is already opened. Do you want to open it read-only bladiebladiebla)

So it looks like IE doesn't know what to do with that message en because of that it say's it can't download the file.

But you never know. I'll try the trusted location stuff tomorow.