Office2010 SP1 can't be pushed through AD Group Policy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office2010 SP1 can't be pushed through AD Group Policy

I have downloaded the Office 2010 SP1 executable, but I can't install it using GP. I tried converting the .EXE to an .MSI using the "exe to msi converter" program, but when I try to assign it to the GP it tells me that it could not get the package information and throws an error.
    I tried extracting the package (succesfully) but the resulting files are mostly .msp and so unusable.

Does anyone know how to deal with this problem?

The bottom line is that I need to push the SP1 for Office through Group Policy.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Office2010 SP1 can't be pushed through AD Group Policy

The "normal" way is to update an administrative installation point and re-deploy office

Quite a lot of links on , and something should be helpful to you:
    http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy....,cf.osb&cad=b

As an alternative, are you using WSUS -- if so you can roll out the SP that way.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian and thanks for the reply.

I can't redeploy office as easily because of the customization that we do with the product. It would be a nightmare to reach out and "fix" the installations.
      As far as the WUS goes, I am using WUS but it takes "FOREVER" to be pushed out.

I need a quick way of deploying the Office SP1 today...

Comment

The difficult we do at once, the impossible may take a whole patch cycle...

Apart from the ways I have mentioned, your only other options seem to be SCCM or a manual deploy.

WSUS is usually fairly quick, but it depends on your environment

Did you check this link?
        http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc179069.aspx
        It suggests there are MSI and MSP files for the SP, so have you tried pushing them out via a GPO?

How many clients are you deploying to?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

Yes I did try to push the MSP through GP, but the message I get is "MSP files are not MS Install packages, can't get information form package"

Comment

MSP is a patch file and should be able to update deployed software.
            is your friend
            http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy....,cf.osb&cad=b
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Thanks Ossian, that would work, but I decided to run the executable during logon for all of my users.

Google indeed is my friend
              Rules

Comment

Glad its sorted!

You may want to investigate patch files for the future -- I'm sure at least one more SP will come out
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Working...
                X