PST Repair Tool

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PST Repair Tool

Apart from Stellar PST Repair, is there anything else that may repair a badly screwed 550MB PST? The idiots were running the PST on the server (hence across the bloody network) and now VITAL information in the PST is required. Personally I think they are Click image for larger version  Name:	censored.gif Views:	1 Size:	216 Bytes ID:	514645ed! The person who initially tried to fix it also ran ScanPST across the network. [Just to amuse the masses. The log file that was generated had 43,108 lines of errors.]

I'm too old for this crap. The idiot owners of the company drive round in $80,000+ cars but whine about spending $700 on a cheap piece of shit NAS.

Anyway, any suggestion for a different PST repair tool would be most appreciated. I did look but there doesn't seem to be much around.

Thanks.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Can't you recover it from a backup? Please tell me they back this stuff up!!!!

I just throw them away when that happens. Usually take more time than its worth to get it fixed.

Comment

Backup, hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Actually they have a really good backup program BUT it was on a 10 year old desktop with a single HDD and NO, repeat NO UPS. As a result there appears to have been a power failure on 7th Jan 2017 and I noticed that the backup desktop was not running during my first visit last week. The backup had not been running for over 9 months. They were very, VERY lucky that they didn't have a server meltdown as they would likely no longer be in business. Management has zero interest in the IT side and it appears they don't even have anyone onsite who even knows how to turn the server on once the UPS runs down (not software configured for shutdowns or restarts). There are also ZERO off site backups. Guess it is more important to spend $70 - 80,000+ on new cars and expensive holidays that a few hundred $$$ on a cheap piece of shit NAS with a small UPS. And the final laugh, half the machines are on the Domain and the other half are not. It's a effing mess! If I wasn't financially desperate I would walk away as it isn't worth the hassle. The final hassle, no out of hours access and the server can't be down during business hours because it is too important for running the business. Go figure.

The PST is fucked but I had to ask for a Justin Case moment. Microsoft may be able to rebuild the PST for a few hundred thousand $$$.

How you been Wullie? Seen your name on here at all sorts of weird hours. Being run off your feet or are you now sick of air travel?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I used to use a piece of software from Ontrack to recover exchange databases and ISTR it included PST recovery as a feature. I can't remember the name off hand (and am, I'm afraid, too lazy to just now). IIRC it was about GBP 1000 many years ago.

OK, I felt bad about the lack of google-fu and checked - Product is PowerControls https://www.krollontrack.co.uk/produ...rols-exchange/
        I couldn't see if it included PST recovery, the old Exchange2003 version I had almost certainly did.....
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks, much appreciated. I think I may have a way to recover some of the PST using the old backup if the previous techs set it up to backup where the PSTs were located but they will still be missing a crap load emails. They can try and rebuild it from the senders as it really isn't my problem. I just heard back today that they seem to think the old backup desktop was sufficient for the job. This clearly shows it wasn't and their attitude to IT. Why are businesses like that?

I have a very small client who up until June last year was running a 1996 DOS based program to run their business. The app needed a bloody Dongle and the company, rather the programmer had long retired so they couldn't do a clean install on a new Server due to no program key being available. There previous tech had cloned the original HDDs which was running Server 2000 with Terminal Services because this stupid app only runs on the Server. It was cloned onto Server 2003 and I have no idea how it was run with 3 remote connections. I was asked to look at them in 2007 when the NIC stopped working, bloody stupid NVidia thing. The server was a mid range desktop with softRAID. Every 2 or 3 years I would get a call to fix things. Last year I went in after a 4 year absence and found the RAID was broken. Asked when that happened and was told "about 18 months ago". Long story short, they finally agreed to upgrade hardware and software with the owner still whinging about the cost. I might mention he paid himself $140,000 a year with holidays every 4 months. Total spend was under $11,000 of which $5,500 was a REAL Server with a 5 year warranty and new software that still needed Terminal Server to run. Used TS-Plus to solve that instead of setting up Remote Desktop Services or whatever they call the bloody thing now. Even convinced them to buy a NAS! Six weeks later they got an email, "oh, what's this"...clickity click and they were introduced to Mr Locky or Mr Crypto. I was called 2 hours after the "how to unlock your files" notices appeared. Again they were lucky because the malware didn't delete the Shadow Copy (one of my most favourite Microsoft features) that I had configured and because I had cocked up a permission on the NAS and it couldn't write to it.

Fixed in 5 hours and they lost 2 hours of data that was input that day but still had all the paperwork for so in actuality they lost nothing. About 3 months later the owner sent me an email and admitted that they were lucky because he had been watching the news about all the places that been hit with the crypto type malware/virus. With the old DOS based system they could potentially have been wiped out which may have brought on his heart attack a lot earlier. Now he holidays for 4 weeks every 3 months and I still deal with their shit. 16 months on and they still haven't gotten my second last item on the list, a UPS for the Server. Last item is a new tech! I'd rather be flying than doing this shit!
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hey Chris,
            Yeah all good. Flying all over the globe again fixing sh!t lol.

Comment

I hope they fly you Business Class Wullie. Sitting down the back gets old quick, eh.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Ha ha Chris they would have me in the hold if there was a cheaper option.

So far this year i've done the UK twice, once was an emergency as my mum passed away, Holland, US, NZ, China and possibly still India, Singapore and China before the end of the year

Comment

Working...
                X