Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Fatal Error During Installation' appears when I try to open Office 2010

Hello everyone,

I've been using all Office 2010 features (Word, Excel etc.) absolutely fine for years on my computer that runs Windows 7, but suddenly from yesterday I've been unable to open anything - not any document saved on my desktop or through any shortcuts or folders. I haven't installed any recent programs or made any changes to my computer (that I know of).

When I try to open something in Office 2010 a Windows Installer box appears saying 'preparing to install' and then 'configuring Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010.' An error box then appears saying 'Fatal error during installation' and that's it.

I've checked my programs and I've got Office 2010 and Office Professional Plus 2010, but there's only the option to Change the Professional Plus version in the Uninstall or Change Program panel. However when I click Change on the Professional Plus version there's no option to repair it.

Should I try and uninstall Office 2010 and then reinstall it? However I don't have the product registration key with me if I have to use that when I reinstall. Years ago I bought Office 2010 not on a CD but online through a deal that my former work offered us (I no longer work there and wouldn't be able to contact anyone about it).

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question and if it's been answered elsewhere - I'm just worried that I won't ever be able to open my Word documents again!

Thank you very much for any help you can give me!

Product key should be recoverable through "Magic Jelly Bean" (easily locatable using any popular search engine)

Before removing Office, I would check Windows Update and see what patches came through with yesterdays Patch (sort, "Update") Tuesday as problem suddenly appearing at that time is unlikely to be a coincidence

Also check event logs for further information and for any more information about the error
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

Thank you for your reply!
      I found my product key through Magic Jelly Bean fine. I also checked the Windows updates and have run all the latest ones, and this doesn't seem to have affected my issue because I still can't access any Office programs.
      I might just have to try and uninstall Office and see what happens.

Comment

I was trying to say to remove any Office updates added at the time the problem started, but maybe your uninstall / reinstall will be quicker (although all updates will be removed too)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Looks like not having the Repair option is common. Have you seen this thread: http://superuser.com/questions/54572...grams-features It includes commandline switches for repairing Office 2010
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
          X