No announcement yet.

Outlook Express 6 - Address book failed to load

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook Express 6 - Address book failed to load

One day Outlook Express decided to stop working and everytime I login I get this error message (no error code): "The address book failed to load. Outlook Express is incorrectly configured, please re-install"
    So, I went to Microsoft and tried to do this, but it only comes with IE5 and I am currenlty running IE6 and could not find a stand alone version.

The help sheets were not very helpful unless you had a good understanding of OS's.
    Could somebody please give me some advice on how to get this running again?

What operating system are you running?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

WinME ??
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

You will need to rename the existing . file and restart Outlook Express. Once started, OE will create a new file. Microsoft does not recommend that you import the data from the old, damaged file. If you do, you may import the damage into the new file.
        1. Click Start, point to Find , and click For Files or Folders.
        2. In Search for files or folders named, type. *.wab and click Search Now.
        3. In the Search results window, Right-click the file(s) with an extension of ".wab" and then click R
        4. Rename the file extension (the three left-most characters in the name) to "old" and press ENTER.
        If you are still experiencing the issue you can find info here:

This behavior can occur due to one or more of the following causes:
          • The registry values for Outlook Express and the Windows Address Book are set incorrectly.
          • The Windows Address Book is sharing the Contacts folder from a .pst file that is used by Outlook 98, or Outlook 2000 in the Internet Mail Only (IMO) configuration, and the .pst file has been moved.
          • The <Identity name>.WAB file may have become damaged.