Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office 2010 Volume Activation

Hi

After just installing one of my clients with Office 2010 Pro Plus on a Volume License Agreement, I have noticed that MS now require VLK's to also be activated like retail versions.

Unlike with previous versions of Office that did not require activation if a VLK was used to install.

I have read MS's site about this, coining terms like KMS, MAK, etc, but I cant really make heads or tails of it.

As far as I can tell KMS is something you install locally, which can activate your installs. Assuming this then connects to MS to relay the information.

MAK is something used generally for under 50 nodes, and connects directly to MS as retail versions do.

Can anyone confirm, or otherwise explain in laymens terms the options and comment on this new process?

If they do indeed now count how many licenses you have activated, if you go over, do they stop you?

Just thinking here about management of the keys....say a company replaces a load of PC's then cannot activate. There must be something in place for this...I wouldnt be wanting to call MS everytime!

Thoughts?

Re: Office 2010 Volume Activation

Hi hongman

This is something i am looking into. From what i see there are two types of licensing keys

1 - MAK - this is where you enter a key per product (much like a retail version)
    2 - KMS - where you have a machine on your network handle the licnesing (with access to microsoft).

It depends on the type of keys you have access to. A requirement of KMS is that it must license at least 5 installations, until that point is reached all installations show as unlicensed. (KMS is microsofts new way of bulk licensing - its used for Windows 7 now after is trial run licensing Vista machines.

I am just starting to look into this for my company. We have 3500+ machines that will be upgraded to Win7 and office 2010 - and KMS is looking like a winner to me, because i will not have to worry about registering the software after the image has been put on the machine.

Hope this gives you a bit more information

Dave H

Comment

Thanks Haze, sounds about right.

Just wondering how strict MS are about the Volume Licensing - i.e will I have to call MS everytime I replace a PC to reactivate, like you do with Retail.

Comment

Originally posted by hongman View Post
        Thanks Haze, sounds about right.

Just wondering how strict MS are about the Volume Licensing - i.e will I have to call MS everytime I replace a PC to reactivate, like you do with Retail.
        This will depend on your licence agreement with MS but most likely not. KMS is installed on a Server within your network. The application is validated by that KMS Server and needs to talk to that Server every 180 days to keep validated. Check the following link for some very basic info or Google the info. Alternatively you could call MS and ask them but there is sufficient info available online. http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/e...ctivation.aspx

You will need KMS and not MAK due to the number of instances you will be running. MAK is suited for small networks that have a small number of workstations.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X