RTM now available on Technet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RTM now available on Technet

Time to remove "BETA" from the title of this forum -- the RTM version is now available to Technet Plus subscribers

I'm just downloading it, then will have a big install job today
    (And no more damn "smilies", I hope )
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: RTM now available on Technet

Did you ever find a need to send them a frown smilie? The seem to have gotten this one sort of right.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

My experience with it made me think that at least Outlook 2010 needed to go back in the oven for a little while. It was slower than an uphill snail race in February. Every other day it would refuse to perform any operations on objects, such as moving mail from one folder to another or delete mail. An error would say something to the effect of "Not implemented yet". The only way to fix it was to totally reinstall Outlook. I could never get it to connect to my Exchange 2010 server. It whined about needing to create a new profile or something. I deleted all profiles, uninstalled Office and reinstalled and still it woudln't work.

Good thing I'm not going to have to pay for it when it comes out. I won a copy of 2010 Professional at a TechNet event in Phoenix two days ago. I've never payed for a copy of Office or Windows in my life... and I've stayed fully compliant and in good standing with the law.

Taken from http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4548835032/ :
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

We won't be deploying it for a good while. Symantec's roadmap for Enterprise Vault support for both Exchange 2010 and Outlook 2010 is a long and lonely journey right now.

Probably put it on my laptop at home though.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide
          It was slower than an uphill snail race in February.
          Funny, I haven't found that and I have in excess of 75 Folders under the Inbox and it is running off Exchange 2003. OST is just under 600MB. Maybe it just doesn't like Arizonia.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
            We won't be deploying it for a good while. Symantec's roadmap for Enterprise Vault support for both Exchange 2010 and Outlook 2010 is a long and lonely journey right now.
            Is it just me or is Symantec always a day late and a dollar short? They have to be one of the biggest reasons why organizations stay on older technology. That and any POS system on earth.

(EDIT: To clarify, when I mentioned POS I meant Point of Sale, and not Piece of... I always get those two mixed up, even though there's hardly any difference. )
            Last edited by Nonapeptide; 25th April 2010, 08:09. Reason: Twiddled two words around and added some clarification
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Not just Symantec -- I#m trying to upgrade a client from (very old) XP boxes to 7 and they won't because Sage (at least their version) wont support 7 until July at the earliest -- nearly a year after release
              (Yes, I am trying to sell them on XP mode...)
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have lost faith in SYmantec ever since SEP 11 - even if they did correct it afterwards. However, I will jump to their defence on this one. They did some early work apparently on Vista, when it was in Beta. Then MS changed all the code in Vista and Symantec had to throw away years of work they had invested. Ever since, I believe, Symantec have said they would only develop new software when they knew what they are developing for is pretty firmly baked. It makes business sense, in a way. And many of their largest customers probably wont upgrade that soon, either.
                Just my (insert your currency here)0.02 worth.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

As to frowns, I've sent a few though I haven't had the performance problems with Outlook. (My .ost is ~3GB and certailnly doesn't crawl)
                  Several times, I have had Outlook lose the place in threaded views. I'll delete a post in a thread and instead of getting teh next item in the thread, it jumps to about 10 items sooner!
                  There also seems to be a major problem with BCM. I know that the number of people using BCM is probably a rounding error, but I use OL2007 with BCM on two different machines - the BCM SQL is on my SBS as per a white paper by MS. I asked MS about using BCM 2010 together with 2007 and they basically said the databases are incompatible, so I don't know how anyone is going to get from here to there, if they are using BCM. Perhaps someone smarter than me and au-fait with SQL can work it out.
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                    Is it just me or is Symantec always a day late and a dollar short? They have to be one of the biggest reasons why organizations stay on older technology. That and any POS system on earth.

(EDIT: To clarify, when I mentioned POS I meant Point of Sale, and not Piece of... I always get those two mixed up, even though there's hardly any difference. )
                    I guess when you buy out every other tech company and have a product line so huge it gets very difficult to keep everything up to date.

SAGE is even worse. Their goal seems to be to take over the entire Accounting/Finance software market.

As for Office 2010, anybody going with the 64bit installation for production?

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
                      As for Office 2010, anybody going with the 64bit installation for production?
                      I'm going to give it a go... if by "production" you mean "your own laptop".
                      Wesley David
                      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

I've got the 64bit version installed on my home laptop. Apparently the only likely issue is that addons won't work.
                        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                        sigpic
                        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Installed it on my main desktop (Win7 x64) and seems OK so far
                          Still trying add-ons out
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

I'm installing my freshly opened copy of Office 2010 as I type this. I'm going ahead with the 64-bit version. Quake in terror, ye feeble hearted!

(Posted from my Flickr account)
                            Wesley David
                            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

And is it an approvement compared with Office 2007?
                              Marcel
                              Technical Consultant
                              Netherlands
                              http://www.phetios.com
                              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                              X